Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say 'Challenge' because no one can figure out what the hell she is! When she gets here, I'm thinking about getting that genetic test done on her, because I'm so bloody curious. In the meantime! Maybe you lovely people will have better insight.

This is Bryn. According to the group I adopted her from, she was rescued from a dog fighting operation as a 6 month old, where she had been used as a target or bait dog or something to that effect. She's 5 in December, and about the size of a beagle, maybe a little taller. Her primary breed is Border Collie, (if the looks weren't enough, BOY does she have a BC kinda personality) but we're not sure what else is in that mixing pot.

These are literally ALL the pictures I have of her standing, because she's either bouncing around, running at top speed, chasing things -- or she's flopped down and sunbathing. There's no in-between with her! haha

Happy guessing! Cuz... I just have no idea...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Spitzen in body type so most likely the main constituents are some sort of sled/nordic breed or some sort of herding breed.

Does her behavior give you any indication of what she may be?

Also, regarding bait dog. It seems that in certain areas, it is VERY COMMON for rescues to throw that little gem in because it causes an emotional response and makes people more likely to adopt regardless of if there is any evidence at all that it is the case. This seems to happen a lot in the UK especially.

A dog that really is used as a bait dog is scar ridden on the outside, with torn up ears, missing eyes, etc. Often a big meat hook is driven through the face and attached to a chain so the dog cannot escape when being attacked. This is to say nothing of the mental trauma a real bait dog is put through. I see nothing that would give me a moment's pause in stating your dog has never seen any use by dogfighters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I definitely believe that. I've always been quite skeptical about her origins, considering all her wounds were pretty cosmetic when I got her. I'm quite sure they tell EVERYBODY the exact same thing, for exactly that reason. The sympathy vote works so well with people. It was a big problem for her in particular, because I overheard the lady telling this family the story. This was a family with three SMALL kids, the oldest maybe eight years old. Bryn was a pretty dog, even battered and vomited on. But she was extremely fearful and those kids clearly had no idea how to react around a dog. They were yelling, pointing, pulling on ears, and just generally a nightmare. You KNOW she would have been back out on the street in a week. So I took her instead xD

I know something bad happened before I got her, because she had scabbed over bite marks on her neck and patches of fur missing. She was also completely and totally fearful of EVERYTHING (would pee every time she heard a horn honk outside), but my guess is she was attacked by a larger dog. I think it was probably a boxer or a dobie, considering she's still quite scared of them. I'd like to work on that with her, but both are pretty rare where we were living. You saw a few in the city, but once we moved to the suburbs there were none of either.

She's definitely a herding dog, and I'm certain it's border collie. She's got that BC drive and fixation, and she LOVES herding little kids (which can be a problem when we go to the beach. Except when the parents laugh. Then it's hilarious) and other dogs at the dog park.

Spitz types aren't very common, BUT in the city I've seen a few people with keeshonds, which would definitely explain the agoti fur (best seen in the first crappy standing pic, from her 'fatty fatty summer camp' days. lol!) and small stature. It's not something I ever considered before.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wow! She looks almost exactly like a BC someone I know does obedience with. I've seen some small BC. I wonder if it's possible she's simply an undersized BC?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Female BCs should be between 25 and 40 lbs, so she's the right size for a BC.

As for the bait dog ... sometimes the less "organized" dog fighters will just shove a smaller, less aggressive dog into an enclosure with a prospective fighting dog and see what happens. The "bait dog" doesn't always get too badly ripped up if the prospective fighting dog wasn't very interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SueM: Lol! Genetics are a crazy thing! I would love to one day do obedience or something with her, though! We'll have to see if she's got the right stuff! haha. She does look quite border collie-ish; the only thing that throws me off is the fact that her black fur is extremely agouti, which I don't think is present in border collies. If you push the fur aside, the roots are silver, and you can see in the first picture of her sniffing about where some of it shows through (shoulder, neck, hindquarters). But who knows! With shelter dogs, really anything's possible, and you're never gonna know what happened T-T

Harleyboysmom: It's possible, and I did consider sheltie at one point. What made me rule it out is I've never seen a sheltie in the country before. BCs I see every so often, but city, suburbs, or farms, I have yet to see a one. That doesn't mean they're not there of course. The likelihood is low, but not impossible!

Amaryllis: True. She's around 10 kilos at her optimal weight (not her summer-camp-of-biscuits photo up top, but more towards the latter pictures), which I think is 22 pounds, so she's just under standard. That said, I was in England earlier this year and a guy was walking what was obviously a pure BC through the park, and she was almost exactly Bryn's size. I was pleasantly surprised!

Very true. Honestly, I'll never know for sure what happened to her before I got her, which is the price you pay for a shelter dog! But she's all healed up now, and a peppy, bouncy ball of shedding-ness, so I'm happy!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Kabota has some pretty heavy scarring on his face and if you look at it all together, it's pretty obvious a much larger dog went to town on him and very nearly took out an eye. I don't think it was so much a formal bait dog situation as it was maybe some idiot thinking it was funny to watch a big, aggressive dog rip up a smaller, nonaggressive dog.

We'll never know their pasts, but we do know their futures- treats, love and soft places to sleep!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts