Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So of all of my dogs, Mister is by FAR the most sensitive. Even when he does something he is not supposed to he tells on himself well before I even know anything has occurred. His most reoccurring offense is pinching stuff off the counters. I think he just can't help it, but he never gets in trouble for it, plain and simply because it's one of our faults it was there for him to get in the first place, but in a more advanced capacity because he already stresses himself out when he takes stuff, and as an anxious dog that can translate into unnecessary squabbling in the pack.

So for the funny part: I was just making myself some coffee (marathon study/homework session) and had my sugar container close to the edge of the counter. While in the living room I hear something hit the floor in the kitchen, so I go in to check it out and there is the sugar container on the floor, and I look at the dogs (the three sitting in the corner) and say in my silly dog voice, "Did you do that?" Y'all he hung his head so far down and walked over to me so slow I couldn't help but "Aw, you poor baby!" him. He is such a mess!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is mostly reacting to your body language and the sound of your voice when he does that. He is throwing out calming signals to calm you down.
Calming Signals - The Art of Survival - Turid Rugaas - International Dog Trainer
Thanks for the insight, but trust me my body language was not reporting anything because I was not upset, stressed, and honestly I was being silly. HE is a super sensitive pooch (More than even the atypical sensitive pooch) who suffers from anxiety, and has to have an adaptil collar to conquer new situations. He was responding to his expectation, which by the way is his norm, and why he never gets anything other than light nudges and soft verbal corrections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts