Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and am hoping I can gain some insight or suggestions from some of you. We have a 1 year old Minne Australian Shepherd who has always seemed healthy, and is full of energy..sometimes too much!:)
Last week I found her in the backyard at the tail end of a seizure, her back legs were very weak and she had the telltale signs of frothing around the mouth and it was obvious that she could not see me. I took her to the emergency vet where they did a total body function blood test and heartworm-everything came back normal. I was relieved to know she hadn't gotten into anything but it really just leaves more questions. The next day she seemed back to normal and has been playing normally. Then today she was playing ball in the yard and suddenly seemed unable to balance, her back legs collapsed to the side as if she were going to sit, and she became wobbly for a few moments.

I just don't know what steps to take next or if anyone has had this experience with their dog. She's so young, I worry she may have a brain tumor or she's at the beginnings of epilepsy as I understand it can run in her breed. The vet seemed kinda dismissive about the whole thing--I asked questions and she had no answers and seemed ok with that. Should I demand a head xray, different blood work, anything?? Is this how epilepsy can start to show up? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you so much for reading.

Paige

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I say keep a log of everything, dates, what is going on when it happens (ie. sleeping, playing, etc) and take it to your vet. The more information the better. I would do what Crio said as well and demand more testing. Clearly something is going on :( sorry to hear as well. Hope you can find out what it is

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crio-I am kind of feeling the same way, though I hate to admit it. I will def get at least an xray on her. From my experience with human healthcare it should show up if it's decent sized. Even with a tumor the most we can do is watch her and try to keep her as healthy as possible. I was told my Jack Russell had one when she was 3 and she lived to be 17 and few problems, so there is hope!

Pawz, that's a great idea, I will do that for sure. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a poodle that had seizures off and on for the first six years of his life. He would freeze up and begin to shake, with his eyes totally unfocused. Whenever he had one he would try to stand but fall over. He would make his way to me and fall against my legs. When I realized what was happening I would pick him up and hold him tight against me talking to him until it subsided, usually three or four minutes and then he'd be ok till the next time. He's have them once or twice a month. We him tested for everything, but nothing was ever found.

Eventually, when he was around 6 years old, he just stopped and now he's a ripe old 14 yrs heading to 15 and is in good health. Hopefully all is well with your Aussie and he just stops having them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for sharing your story Radar, it's always encouraging to hear a good ending! I'm so glad your poodle got past it all, it's so scary to see them and heartbreaking to know they suffer. I think the losing balance and acting strange is bothering me almost more than the seizure. But seizures have such a variance that what I witnessed today could have possibly been a minor one I suppose.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hi :)

my first thought it a brain tumor, I'd either request (or demand lol) an xray or find another vet...I remember som'one on here once saying brain tumors may not show up in an xray...if that is the case you'd have to do an MRI...but bloodwork should indicate cancer.

in short, Iam sorry, but no idea :(
I'm sorry to say ditto this!! Ares (my APBT) had/has seizures and a few days before we found out it was brain tumor. :(
I hope you have better luck!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry Alfi. What do you do for him? I hope we have better luck too but my gut feeling is we won't :(

My Bf is a bleeding heart and "saved" her from a horrible place selling puppy mill puppies. I am totally against these places, but he saw her outside and couldn't leave her. I tracked down the breeder listed on her papers online and I plan on calling her, I doubt she would be honest with me in regards to the blood lines but it's worth a shot to get a little background. Poor girl has had a rough start right from the beginning.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Well Ares was 12-13 y/o when I took him from the shelter. He had bone cancer and we did an amputation. Then a few days ago he had seizures and passed out 2-3 times. He is on pain meds but considering his age there are not many things we can do with him. The vet says he can live his rest of his life just with a few seizures yet to come :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Paiger, you and she are in my prayers. At least she has you trying to do what's best for her and that's wonderful!

Alfi, you and Ares are in my prayers too and he's lucky to have you in his court. What a wonderful thing you did adopting him and caring for him as you've done.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I am sorry to hear about what is happening. It is very scary to see a seizure!
Roxy (my pug) had her first seizures (clusters of grand mal seizures) a little over a year ago. She was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy, which is just a fancy way of saying they don't know what actually causes her seizuers. She was put on Phenobarbital and has not had a single seizure since then. We are hoping to actually lower her med levels after her next vet appointment.

Deffinately have your vet check for a brian tumor. But if they do not find anything, talk about medication. If you are worried about the costs of medication, don't be. For Roxy a 60 day supply of PB is only $10. She also needs a yearly blood test ($95) to check Pb levels and liver function. So a yearly total is less than $300. However costs are going to be affected by the size of the dog, location, etc.

In order for a dog to be put on Pb, my vet requires at least 3 seizures per month or cluster seizures (occur one after the other).

Read this: http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/seizure.pdf
It will help to make sense of what you are seeing. Pay particular attentio to the different stages of a seizure as well as the different types of seizures!

Actually the whole canine-epilepsy website has been very useful to me.
Canine Epilepsy Resources
You can find tons of great information there about treatments, what to do before and after a seizure occurs, new research, etc. It really helped me get through this with Roxy.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me add please, that there are many different causes of dog seizures including toxins, metabolic defects, neurological defects and tumors. The difference between these things can be sorted out quickly and efficiently when you bring them in to see your veterinarian. The veterinarian can start with running blood work and a thorough examination. After the examination and the blood work results, we may be able to prescribe your pet medications to prevent them from experiencing the seizures again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Petblog- She was immediately taken to the vet and had complete body function blood work. All normal as I mentioned in my original post. I was glad to see it was not a toxin of some sort but the questions all remain. Growing up we had two dogs with occasional seizures(at different time periods) and the vets never figured that out either. She has not had another episode, to my knowledge since my first post, of course, I am not home all day. With any luck these episodes will be a thing of the past. If we have more we will def have to get some more tests.

Kmes-Thank you so much for your info and links. I read through them both. I wasn't sure when they actually will classify it as epilepsy and provide treatment, so that's a good guideline to know. I'm sorry to hear about Roxy, but I'm glad she is doing better.
Unfortunately,I know the drugs they use are cheap and am aware of the level tests-I work with drug addicts so i run into quite a few with seizure disorders and help them get their meds. lol The vets here will actually write you a script you can take to walmart and get filled for 4 dollars. It is a relief to know this is one of the cheaper long term issues to treat, for sure. I hope we don't see more problems. Good luck to you and Roxy at your next appt!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's super it would be affordable !!! Keep us posted on how she does :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have a cat that had seizures it was caused by the rabies vaccination and then the coloring in the food he was eating they started the day after we had him vaccinated for rabies. We were traveling out of the country had had to have it. I could not get natural food where we moved so i put him on some store brand. He ended up having up to 8 seizures a day I looked it up in my natural book and it said that if your pet had seizures that food coloring of any kind causes a problem with the brain. I took him off the food and fed him chicken and tuna and he within two weeks he never had another one. So my question is what do you feed and has the dog been recently vaccinated?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dawn- I'm so sorry to hear about your cat having those problems! I hope he is doing well now. Luna had not been recently vaccinated and she eats nutro max.

Update: It's been over a month since her seizure and we haven't had any repeats! She had a check up and the vet now thinks that she may have had a seizure from our american bulldog possibly running into her and hitting her head. When we found her her head was on a concrete landscaping tile so it is entirely possible that Sydney ran her over or flew into her causing her to hit her head. I guess we'll never know but for now things look good! Thank you for all over your advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts