Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I know it might sound like a stupid question, but i was wondering, what's the minimal land size that two large dogs would require? I have a 1200 sq meter yard, but the problem is I can't dog proof the whole area. So i was wondering, what's the minimum land requirement for them? I want to make sure there are no poisonous plants, no fallen fruits they can eat no garbage cans or anything that would cause me a trip to the vet. Dog proofing tips will be appreciated too for dogs that will eat everything they see on the ground.

·
Registered
785 Posts
6 foot by 6 foot.

Im from a country (uk) where you have tiny housing. and a tiny garden. . And large dogs/kids/adults all in one room to watch tv for eg. Dogs were kept inside, rare to find an outside dog, very rare.
So, my answer is you dont need much. As the dogs exercise is not in a garden, but wherever you take them. People who think a dogs needs can be satisfied in the dogs garden, are wrong IMO. They need to get out and explore outside, new surroundings/smells/people/etc etc

I have large garden, but in sections. And dogs are contained in small area. (I have 500 acres of bush out the back gate to play in).

Dog proofing for escapologists.
A perimeter fence, with top leaning into the garden. like this:

is what i now have set up, as a new addition was jumping the 6 foot fence. The bit that leans in, is what prevents him jumping.

So an escapologist who cant go 'over' a fence, may opt for 'under' and start digging its way to freedom. This is prevented by putting concrete at base of fencing.

The local amenity tip, where stupid people throw out metal fencing, metal gates worth hundreds of dollars. Is where i purchase most of dog enclosure, animal enclosure materials dirt cheap. You end up being pretty good with power tools when you have multi dogs :)

·
Super Moderator
10,721 Posts
I lived with 2 dogs, one was 24lbs and the other 44, in a 35ft travel trailer, most the of the floor space was taken up by furniture or 3 dog beds. We lived on 5 acres though, and 1/2 acre was fenced for them, they got plenty of exercise so that when they were inside they were content to lounge around.

You do not need a huge area fenced in for your dogs, but you do need to get out and exercise them. Unless they are left to free roam what they are going to do when you are not around is nap, and they'll do that whether you have them inside, in a large yard, or in a small kennel.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I live in suburbia (for now) on 1/3 of an acre, and have three medium-sized dogs (41-47 lbs). That being said, they all get daily exercise outside of the house (fetch, walks, herding, obedience classes) and lots of training to wear them out mentally as well. We had a week here where everyone in my household was laid up with the flu, and the dogs did okay for the first two days...then started making their own "fun." Dug up part of the garden and chewed a hole in the netting on my kids' trampoline...in only 30 minutes!

So yes, it's not necessarily dependent on the size of the yard but the exercise and mental stimulation you are willing to provide, IMO. We are now looking for 2-5 acres of land, but will still carry on with their walks/fetch/classes/lessons etc.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That depends on your dogs & you.
I have a small fenced yard, no fence. It was fenced & provided zero exercise for my previous dogs (this is why it's gone).

I do have access to literally hundreds of kilometres of forest trails within a twenty minute drive, and 65 acres of conservation land within a five minute walk.

A very biddable dog, or an extremely well trained dog can get plenty of safe quality exercise with an active person, but there are a lot of 'if's in that.
It goes back to what everyone else is saying, fence or not, dogs don't exercise themselves, at least not in ways we like. (no one wants to live beside a fence running or squirrel barking dog).

A different question and good to ask yourself, is how do you want your dog ownership to be? How much time do you want to spend leash walking your dog?

Do you want to do dog sports and if so how much?

Do you have access to places where dogs can safely run off-leash (<--and that depends not only on the place but the individual dog (ie, some dogs like chasing things, some dogs naturally hang close to their owner) and you (ie, your ability to train if your dog isn't 'sticky')

etc... and then make decisions on the dog you want. Some dogs are very mellow and are not that needy, others are just nuts about running (mine). It's a good idea to know what you are ready able & willing to do before you get a dog, and you started off great by asking this question.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Depends on the breed, energy level, and how much you plan on exercising them.

I lived in a tiny two bedroom apartment and my next door neighbors had two Newfoundlands. Really low energy dogs that got walked twice a day.

I know another couple that has a 100+ lbs Rhodesian Ridgeback, a 60 lbs mutt, and a little Italian Greyhound in a one bedroom apartment and they have to run the two bigger dogs every day so they can get enough exercise (on a hike, at a park, or actually bring the dogs jogging).

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have 2 larger dogs, and one is an active border collie mix, and several acres of land, but it's all Virginia forest, so we've had to section a smaller part off. The section the dogs seem fine with is about 1/4 of an acre. I occasionally take the one for hikes in the woods behind the house but we have a creek with mosquitoes in the spring/summer, and deer that carry ticks, which the dogs get preventative tick treatment, but I do not. Ticks are not fun. We usually end up at parks and the larger national parks where we run and go hiking.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your advices. As almost everyone has noted it depends on my willingness to exercise them in a way that doesn't involve them being out in the yard. I want to dog proof the yard for summer. We will spend about a month in a summer house. Last year i was there to monitor my dog (i only had one then) every minute of every day. Next summer, i won't be with them during the working hours, and i don't think my mom can keep up with these two all the time. Of course once i'm with them i'll play walk and do everything i do with them just as usual. But during the day, i need an off leash safe area for them. They won't be living outside. It's just for an hour or two while they are awake and i am away. Since they live in an apartment, i want them to really take advantage of having a yard during that month. And enjoy themselves safely. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts