Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted Diesel the miniature pinscher from a shelter, and I am wondering if he might be a mix, and if he is what kind. He looks and acts like a min pin for the most part, and shows min pin behaviors like obsessive digging and burrowing. However, he is full grown and weighs about 4.5 pounds, which is extremely small for a min pin (they usually weight 8-12 pounds). He also rarely barks, and when he does, it is a very low bark much like a bigger dog. Min pins usually have a frequent high pitched yap. I would greatly appreciate any help figuring out what he could possibly be mixed with, besides min pin. See below for pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Something to remember, unless it's a retired show dog, very few adopted dogs are going to fit the breed standard 100% (or as close as possible). That said, I think your boy looks more Toy Manchester Terrier than Min Pin.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i think the body and head doesn look like a typical Zwergie, but if it'S from some kind of ByB that's not unusal.

Somehow seeing such a dog without a tail is a bit weird. reminds me of this one birthday party game with the donkey picture.
people do weird stuff.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
813 Posts
Your dog like my min pin Diesel. I will try to find a good photo.

In one of the photos your Diesel looks too skinny - is he very skinny?

Definitely not a toy Manchester, wrong head shape, wrong topline, and they are not docked, neither do they come in chocolate and tan colouring.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Something to remember, unless it's a retired show dog, very few adopted dogs are going to fit the breed standard 100% (or as close as possible). That said, I think your boy looks more Toy Manchester Terrier than Min Pin.
I'd be interested in how you tell a Toy Manchester from an Min pin, assuming each is 'breed standard'.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Differences between min pins and English Toy Terrier (black and tan), aka Toy Manchester
These are UK dogs, there mabe variation in other countries

Size – most min pins are 12” or under, most ETTs I have met were over 12”

Min pins colours – black, chocolate, blue and fawn with tan markings, ETT only black and tan

Head shape – see pictures

Ear shape - see pictures

Mp&ett3.jpg Mp&ett4.jpg

Topline – min pin straight, ETT slightly curving

Tail set – min pin high, ETT low

Tail carriage – min pin high, over back, (docking is now illegal) ETT lower than topline

Mp&ett.jpg

Tan spot on face – min pin blends with rest of facial markings, ETT clearly defined

Hopefully, you can now work out which one's which.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your dog like my min pin Diesel. I will try to find a good photo.

In one of the photos your Diesel looks too skinny - is he very skinny?

Definitely not a toy Manchester, wrong head shape, wrong topline, and they are not docked, neither do they come in chocolate and tan colouring.
He was very skinny when these pictures were taken, but he's gained a little since then. The shelter found him as a stray, and at the time he only weighed 4 lbs. He's now a little over 5 lbs, which is a healthy weight for him. Your diesel is beautiful; interesting how similar he looks to my diesel apart from his coloring:).

·
Registered
813 Posts
He was very skinny when these pictures were taken, but he's gained a little since then. The shelter found him as a stray, and at the time he only weighed 4 lbs. He's now a little over 5 lbs, which is a healthy weight for him. Your diesel is beautiful; interesting how similar he looks to my diesel apart from his coloring:).

That's because they are both min pins, :)

The colouring - in the clearer pictures your boy looks chocolate and tan to me. Interesting. They say the camera never lies. :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
The neighbor across the street has a 5 pound minpin. The 'teacup' craze hit them too.
Is there a teacup min pin craze in the US/Canada? Certainly not in the UK. Luckily, min pins are not that popular so puppy farmers (puppy mills in your neck of the woods) are not interested in 'producing' them - normal size or teacup.

Small min pins (or quite large ones) are born even from the best bred, typey dogs, in the hands of experienced, knowlegeable, caring and responsible breeders. :p

·
Registered
876 Posts
They're not as popular as chihuahuas or yorkshire terriers, but it seems if there's a minipin it has to be 'teacup'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to clarify, I am not a huge fan of the idea of teacup breeds either. My little min pin is a rescue, and I don't know anything about his breeding, if he was meant to be a teacup or if he's just the runt of the litter. I am aware that teacup dogs tend to have many medical problems due to inbreeding, and I wouldn't have supported teacup breeding by buying one from a breeder. I got my little guy because he was such a sweet, gentle dog, and perfect for my family. His size did not factor into that decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 16 of 16 Posts