Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am wondering what the energy level is for a mini Labradoodle. I like the look of the breed, the size and temperament seems perfect, and I like the low-shedding. Is this a breed that will require a lot of exercise? We are a moderately active family, but don't want a breed that "requires" a run every day. Our dog will be walked 3-4 times per day, with only the mid-day walk being the long one and the rest being more around the block to go to the bathroom. We do live near a big field where people let their dogs run, but would only have time for this on the weekends.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
The thing about any kind of mix is that it is hard to predict how much of each breed's characteristics will be dominant. Labradors are fairly high energy, and remain puppy like for much longer than your average breed. So, if your dog tends towards the Lab side, be prepared for more walks.

Make sure you meet and like the look of the parents, which will hopefully give you a decent idea of the potential coat your puppy will have. Again, because they are mixes, you can never be 100% sure.

When you describe a long walk, how long are you talking? 30 minutes? An hour? What kind of obedience classes are you planning on taking? Both of the breeds in this mix are very intelligent and require lots of mental stimulation every day.

·
Registered
438 Posts
A mini labradoodle is not a breed. Most likely it will be high energy coming from a mini poodle/Labrador retriever cross which are both breeds that tend to be high energy. Whatever exercise requirement you anticipate in a future dog, expect it to be higher when the dog actually gets here. Energy levels can often be surprising.

There is no set energy level for a Labrador mini poodle mix...it's like shooting in the dark. Your best bet is to observe the parents or observe the dog with its littermates....and even then, you're just getting a rough idea.

Also, be prepared for your dog to shed. Full bred poodles shed, but I would put them in the extremely low shedding category. Labradors shed a lot...when you mix them with a poodle....there is a 100% chance that the dog is going to shed and 50% chance it's going to be a light shedder. Join a forum for lab/poodle mixes for more info. Start looking at groomers in your area as well.

If the energy level is really important for you, look at rescues and shelters. There are lots of poodle mixes there that are perfectly great dogs and you'd be able to assess the energy level better in an adult.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Personally, the exercise plan that you have outlined doesn't sound like enough. Really one walk a day, a couple bathroom breaks and off leash time on weekends. A mini poodle and lab mix is not going to be fulfilled by that schedule especially not as a puppy. You're combining two high energy breeds that can be particularly robust when young.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Welcome to the Dog Forum! I think it's terrific that you are doing research before bringing home a new dog.

The biggest concern I have is that you are probably looking at puppies that come from a puppy mill. There is no such breed as the "mini Labradoodle," and I can't imagine that you'll be able to find a reputable breeder for mini Labradoodle puppies. Please read this thread to learn more about puppy mills and puppy brokers:

http://www.dogforum.com/new-additions/bybs-puppymills-petstores-reputable-breeders-88226/

Dogs that come from puppy mills and pet stores often have health problems and are overpriced. We'd be happy to check over the source of these puppies if you can paste a link to their advertisement.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
As said, there are never any guarantees when you acquire a dog, regardless of breed. My feeling, is any dog that has poodle, will be intelligent, and very people oriented. The Lab part is likely to be very high energy and active. Labs have a tendency to mature very very slowly. I've known nine year old Labs that still behave like a puppy. That said, every dog is different, and is its own dog, regardless of breed or mix. Some of it is just plain luck, breed types only suggest what you might anticipate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts