Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting my hopes up too high, because my dog has been sick for days and I can't afford the surgery she needs. I tried mineral oil as a last resort and she continued being sick and pooping completely red dhiarrhea. I was sure she was needing to be put down today and spent the whole day bawling my eyes out. Decided to give her more mineral oil since I'd stopped it for a day worried she'd get constipation like I'd read a warning about, and i think she got a miracle because tonight she got up to go potty and out comes completely brown stool. Still dhiarrhea but I am amazed, and hoping and praying this means she may make it. Anyways, I want all dog owners to at least KNOW a about this. Of course, we have poured hours and hours of our days just sitting next to her, syringe-ing bone broth and pedialytes and water into her, and been strict with her meds she got for dhiarrhea, but the mineral oil may be what helped her insides. So if you have no way of paying for surgery (I was quoted $9000 because she's so sick recovery would be extensive and they said she may not make it) at least try mineral oil before giving up on your pup! In no way am I trying to replace vets advice, she may just be a miracle or she may still pass away/need to be put down, but our vet expected her to die almost a week ago. Even told us how to put her down at home, but never recommended the oil. I just hope that sharing this could possibly help save someone's furry family member. <3

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think it's still very early on, and your pup still sounds to be in a very unstable condition from your posts on previous threads. Mineral oil has laxative effects and is used for constipation in dogs, so while it may have helped ease the pieces of chicken along, there's still a risk for pieces causing complications in the intestinal tract.

Have you called your vet and asked for an x ray as suggested to ensure there are no left behind pieces ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not getting my hopes up too high, because my dog has been sick for days and I can't afford the surgery she needs. I tried mineral oil as a last resort and she continued being sick and pooping completely red dhiarrhea. I was sure she was needing to be put down today and spent the whole day bawling my eyes out. Decided to give her more mineral oil since I'd stopped it for a day worried she'd get constipation like I'd read a warning about, and i think she got a miracle because tonight she got up to go potty and out comes completely brown stool. Still dhiarrhea but I am amazed, and hoping and praying this means she may make it. Anyways, I want all dog owners to at least KNOW a about this. Of course, we have poured hours and hours of our days just sitting next to her, syringe-ing bone broth and pedialytes and water into her, and been strict with her meds she got for dhiarrhea, but the mineral oil may be what helped her insides. So if you have no way of paying for surgery (I was quoted $9000 because she's so sick recovery would be extensive and they said she may not make it) at least try mineral oil before giving up on your pup! In no way am I trying to replace vets advice, she may just be a miracle or she may still pass away/need to be put down, but our vet expected her to die almost a week ago. Even told us how to put her down at home, but never recommended the oil. I just hope that sharing this could possibly help save someone's furry family member. <3
You saved our puppy. Thank you and may God bless you. Hope your dog is health and enjoying life. Our 16 week old puppy swallowed something, started throwing up, stopped eating, threw up like 14 times so we took him to ER. They did the x-ray and said he has blockage but can't find it or see what it is, general idea of buldging of small intestine. They put him on IV and said they will reevaluate in 5 hrs. Next x-ray was better not not clear. Radiologist said to do immediate explorotary surgery. What? Cutbhim open to see where blockage is and what it is? We said no, so ER did another 8 hour of IV and X-ray and told us that he needs it be cut open asap or he will die. Wife freaked out. We said our prayers, and told them we will take him home and give him a break and rest as it was 2 days of misery. While in ER I started searching for alternatives to surgery and your post popped up. On our way back we picked up mineral oil, fed him with guava juice 1 tsp. In the morning he had a bad diarrhea and then came a big blob, it was piece of nylabone and grass intertwined. After that puppy was relieved and started to feel better.

Before anyone consider surgery, you must try mineral oil if object is not visible via x-ray.

·
Registered
982 Posts
This is a very old thread.
I am glad things worked out for your dog however and intestinal blockage can be a very serious life-threatening matter and should not be attempted to be resolved with home remedies.
mild constipation can be solved with mineral oil serious intestinal blockages need to be seen by a vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a very old thread.
I am glad things worked out for your dog however and intestinal blockage can be a very serious life-threatening matter and should not be attempted to be resolved with home remedies.
mild constipation can be solved with mineral oil serious intestinal blockages need to be seen by a vet.
I agree, it is serious and we were prepared to take him to Surgery in the afternoon, and didnt want to not give mineral oil a try that has no negative impacts. it worked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts