Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:
How do I get my 2 dogs to stop barking in their crates at night?

Details:
I have 2 young Shorkies (yorkie/shih tzu). We got the girl (Millie) a 8 weeks old. Let her sleep in our bed from the very beginning. We tried crate training but that didn't work well because we lived in an apartment. She would bark all night even tho we taught her to love her crate. After a few weeks of her barking for 6 hours a night, we gave up.

After she hit 1 year old, we bought a house and tried crate training. This was our 100 attempt at trying but this was the most notable, because we went a solid month of keeping her in the crate. She would go to bed quiet, but around 3am she starts barking again. We might get up at 5am or 10am (Saturdays), but she will bark the the entire time.

Update: we get the 2nd dog. A 8 month boy named Milo. Now Millie has a very much needed playmate, and a companion to sleep with at night. We crate them both at night but absolutely no change. Around 3am they start barking... after a few weeks it gets worse and they bark from the beginning of the night to the next morning. 6 hours... maybe 8 hours of barking.

They get plenty of exercise, and get lots of attention during the day. We have tried so many different ways to make this work. We have talked to vets, trainers, groomers, and Google. Nothing seems to work. Now they sleep in bed with us or else they keep us up all night barking. I want a clean and dog free bed. I want to sleep with my wife alone. But what can I do? I am out of answers.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You got to ignore them and NEVER let them out when they are barking. Or they just learn that you eventually give in if they start barking louder...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any chance they just need to go potty? If you take them out to potty when they bark and then put them right back in, do they still bark?

The fact they they start out quiet and then start at a specific time every night makes me think there is a reason besides wanting to get in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
These dogs are still puppies and need to go out and relieve themselves often. I was told by my vet that very young dogs cannot go all night or for several hours without needing to relieve themselves and this is probably why they’re barking because they don’t foul their own bed unless they have to. Let them out to relieve themselves then right back into the crate. If the barking continues do what my daughter-in-law did that work perfectly- just put a sheet over the crate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my 12 week yorkie to sleep through the night by removing her water dish at 930. Taking her outside at 1130...she sleeps in bed with me and will lick my nose around 8 am to let her out (that's her sign that she needs to go)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!

How is it going with your pups right now?

I think it is a good idea to stop providing them with water after a certain hour (like 9:30 as suggested). My dogs are now 1.5 years old and I used a crate from the beginning they moved in with us and they are doing great.

I don't know what things you have tried yet, but you can start by placing the crates in the bedroom next to you for a couple of nights and see how that goes. After a few nights you can move them further away until eventually you can put them in the spot where you want them to be.

I must say that my pups still wake me up during the night from time to time. I think this was caused by the fact that I fed them a little too late and they had their peak of energy later at night, making them drink a lot of water before bed time. Try feed them around 5/5:50 if you can or as soon as you come home from work!

If your crates are located next to a window or your house is next to a noisy street, this may also cause your pups to wake up at night!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts