Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAH!! *jumps around*

I had a big long convo with Dave this weekend. He stood firm on the cat-he said because we just don't have anywhere to put a stinky cat box (he grew up with cats) that we are not getting a kitty until we move. :(

So I said-here's the deal. I want a cat, a parrot or a salt water aquarium with sea horses. Period. Now. :D

He said "if" I get another pet, it would be a bird. :rockon:

He knows full well saying anything other then a firery NO!! is yes in my language :whistle:

Soooo the first part of permission has been had. Now I do my research adn start preparing. I told him likely Jan/Feb.

Today when I was showing a lady at work what I want (Either a sun conure or an Eclectus) I found a hatchery near me!!! :D

What do you guys think of this breeder?

Canadian Baby Parrot Breeder Canada Wholesale Parrots For Sale

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Congrats! Thats awesome!

Honestly I have raised more suns than I can count...I don't recomend them...if they are awake, they contact call...constantly...

Eclectus are AWESOME...

Personally if I could start over I would do a grey...

I'll check your link right now. :)

EDIT....k...from what it looks like all their birds are already weaned...this points to them being parent raised aviary birds...unless you never want to touch it...run far far away...lol

You are going to want to finish the hand feeding yourself...also, just like dogs...more than one breed per breeder is a red flag...decide on a species and go with som'one who only does one or two species... :) This person has waaay to many birds to be giving them enough human interaction.

Iam sure SH will be along to offer his great advice...since I've only sold birds...not bought any :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
556 Posts
I would suggest an african grey. I had one and the most intellegent bird on the planet. She had a 2000 work vocab- and I am not kidding! They reason, they dont squawk, and wonderful!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
YEAH!! *jumps around*

I had a big long convo with Dave this weekend. He stood firm on the cat-he said because we just don't have anywhere to put a stinky cat box (he grew up with cats) that we are not getting a kitty until we move. :(

So I said-here's the deal. I want a cat, a parrot or a salt water aquarium with sea horses. Period. Now. :D

He said "if" I get another pet, it would be a bird. :rockon:

He knows full well saying anything other then a firery NO!! is yes in my language :whistle:

Soooo the first part of permission has been had. Now I do my research adn start preparing. I told him likely Jan/Feb.

Today when I was showing a lady at work what I want (Either a sun conure or an Eclectus) I found a hatchery near me!!! :D

What do you guys think of this breeder?

Canadian Baby Parrot Breeder Canada Wholesale Parrots For Sale
yay for you! that is so cool...does the SO know how much quieter cats are than birds tho...lol, he is sure to find out!
Congrats! Thats awesome!

Honestly I have raised more suns than I can count...I don't recomend them...if they are awake, they contact call...constantly...

Eclectus are AWESOME...

Personally if I could start over I would do a grey...

I'll check your link right now. :)

EDIT....k...from what it looks like all their birds are already weaned...this points to them being parent raised aviary birds...unless you never want to touch it...run far far away...lol

You are going to want to finish the hand feeding yourself...also, just like dogs...more than one breed per breeder is a red flag...decide on a species and go with som'one who only does one or two species... :) This person has waaay to many birds to be giving them enough human interaction.

Iam sure SH will be along to offer his great advice...since I've only sold birds...not bought any :)
i vote eclectus also bc of this....i've taken care of a couple of sun conures, gorgeous, but man...they do this constantly!

just asking...what about rescue?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!!

I was leaning toward Electus becasue they are GORGEOUS!!! Hahaha that's how not far along I am in research-picking on looks :p

Fawkese-I was always going to rescue a bird when I got one -until I volunteered at the zoo. THeir previously owned birds were bat poop crazy!! But I guess I shouldn't rule it out. I guess I would look for someone who's hand raised them and are the first owner.

Borzoi-African Grey -I will have to look at some. I've met them in pet stores and they do seem cool. I want a BIG bird so they do fit my criteria :)

Thanks CRIO-I wondered-she seemed to have a LOT of breeds and I didn't know if that was good or not!!

SO will just have to deal with noise!

Question again (and feel free to jump in with any tips or advice-I'm still researching) I do pet therapy with my bunnies, and am putting Mikey in the course soon so he can come too. What about a bird-if they are well behaved-I think the residents would love to see a bird. (not in winter though-I don't think I'd take a bird out, even protected, in our winters)-would that be majorly stressful no matter what-or would it depend on the bird's personality?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
depends on the species...but most importantly the induvidual bird...kinda the same as socializing a dog...take him lots of places...meet lots of people...lots of treats/praise.

Eclectus are waaay out of my price range...personally I will be jealous if you get one.

Greys really nice birds...they mostly whistle their first year and overall are very quiet. They aren't huge either. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thankfully getting a big raise here in the next couple of weeks-they did some sort or review a while back and the money comes on our cheque-either this one or the next one. It's surprising b/c It's an NPO, and gov't is making lots of healthcare cutbacks-but I'm not complaining. Almost a 5$/hour raise :) Yippee!!!

They are about 1700$ here-and I know that's a lot, but I would assume saving each paycheque a little bit would set me up to easily get one in Jan/Feb-so hopefully !!

I guess I still have a lot of research before I get any bird though!! I'd like to pick a species first so I don't too much unnecessary research!

I looked on petfinder-and closest bird rescue is in WA-and my passport just expired. I would only drive 12-15 hours for a pet (Mikey is from SK, five hours, Chuck is from Vancouver 12 hours, and Noot is from Calgary-three hours) so I will travel for one rather then expect to find the perfect one here-but not tooo far! I want to check out a few more humane societies and just keep watch I guess.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
as much as I promote rescue...I tried to get a bird for seven years...bird rescues are very very very picky. Som'times I think they just want to have lots of birds.

I can tell you right now...you have a dog...bird rescues are not going to talk to you.

congrats on the raise...thats a big one.:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I thought about shelters-even though I don't see at all why birds can't be around dogs.

I am thinking of building the bird a cage in the bunny room. That way Mikey wont' bug the bird when we're out-rabbits are quiet and won't bother him/her but they might get on well -what do you guys think?

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
be careful w birds and bunnies...i think they can share illnesses...not positive...

a girl i knew had some small macaw species, that wasn't a hybrid, but wasn't quite a ginormous finger remover either, you may find something you like there as well....sort of a big looking bird...

that is a bummer about the bird rescue...i mean, most people who like animals, like all sorts...they should atleast do home checks or something!

therapy bird sounds really cool mikey!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Touche!! I have done EXTENSIVE research into all illnesses rabbits can get (and what symptoms, tests, treatments etc) so I can probably just cross check to the bird illnesses and ensure. Generally they can't share anything but ticks/fleas.

THere is a maccaw in my area, for sale on kijiji for 250$ 7 years old, blue and gold...may be a scam...but may just be someone rehoming...in which case...i may get a bird earlier then planned!!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i am soooo jealous of you!:p

that will be so cool!

if this one doesn't work out, here is a pic of that smaller macaw i was telling you about

i think this one is still a baby cuz it seems a bit small still....

anyway...you do know the rules right? you are gonna need to post a picture right away!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What? Mini macaw? I WANT!!! Now I need to look...Seriously-this may be the bird for me!! I wanted a Macaw...

Fawkese-cute cute cute!! I will definitley post pics!

I saw a bird last night on kijiji that was beautiful....Now I cannot remember what it was called. I'll check again

Ahhh Mustache Parakeet!! He's pretty darned cute don't ya think?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
hahaha....cute!

youtube search mini macaw or severe macaw...their voices will sell you on them...

honestly bird food/toys are VERY expensive...I'd rather have the smaller bird with the big personality ;) smaller bills

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
GRATS :)

My vote between those two would be the Eclectus.
Mellower, Larger, and I have a real problem with the screech that the suns produce.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all!!!

Crio-the toys for the pet are half the fun!! I cannot wait to buy all those great toys :)

Now out of the mini macaws-I really like the yellow collared macaw

"Yellow-Collared Macaws, also known as mini-Macaws, are small in size but large in personality. If you are looking for the personality of a large Macaw in a smaller package, the Yellow-Collared Macaw just might be the right bird for you"

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your B&G is gorgeous.

I think I've decided Eclectus-thanks Scenthound!! I should have listened to you in the first place, but I was dancing around the interwebs looking at all the pretty birds hehe

They are supposed to be less messy, less loud and less bitey then other parrots-which should be easier on Dave ;) Also they are really healthy from what I'm reading so far.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.