Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all. I rescued a 6-month old Pit Bull several years ago and she was never spayed. A few weeks ago, I noticed she started her period, which was odd because I felt it was too soon for her to have it again (it didn't seem like enough time had passed from her last cycle to go into it again). Not thinking much of it, I handled it like I always do and she seemed fine. However, it lasted kind of long and turned from normal blood to a stringy, mucus looking discharge.

I took her to the vet and she said we needed to have her spayed, which I did the following day. Apparently my poor dog had pyometra (or was developing it, I'm not sure), so after costing me $500 to get her all fixed up, she's back at home and taking 250 mg of CLAVAMOX twice a day. In total, she's taking 500mg a day. A urinalysis showed bacteria and an elevated white blood cell count, but the bacteria couldn't be determined to be in her bladder because the urine was taking from while she was going, not with a needle. She is supposed to go back in a week for another urinalysis.

As of right now, it's been 8 days since her spay and she's doing great. She's alert, active, eating and drinking, barking and wanting to go for rides. I figured she was cured since she wasn't having any more discharges. However, that changed today. She discharged twice this morning and once this afternoon. It's a stringy, mucusy type of discharge that's kind of dark. I have enough CLAVAMOX to last her until Monday when I can call the vet to make her an appointment, but I wanted to know if this is a cause for major concern.

You can see pictures of the discharge and her gums here:

Discharge: http://1drv.ms/1IPSuPR

Discharge (in a napkin): http://1drv.ms/1TqHXha

Gums: http://1drv.ms/1HSEOom

I'm terrified it has something to do with her kidneys. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You need to have her checked again. Have them do a urinalysis and have her checked for TCC. One of my co-workers dogs got TCC and the first sign was mucous strings.
Would blood work before a spay screen for this, by chance? She's already had a urinalysis and the only concern the vet had was the bacteria in it, which we couldn't tell if it was from getting it *after* she urinated or if it came from the bladder. I'm fearful your assessment is correct, though, because she hasn't urinated today. She just went outside, squatted for a bit and only a drop came out. This definitely has me in a panic as I know it's a major cause of concern. :(

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,325 Posts
Blood work is only a snapshot of what's going on at that exact moment. It can be redone and show something completely different. You should re-do the bloodwork, another urinalysis and a rectal so the vet can feel her urethra. A bit of mucous is pretty normal for a female dog but strings are not. My vet told me that sometimes dogs will have mucous strings if their vaginal area is really irritated, too.. but it's definitely a cause for concern and I would have her checked. My co-worker that had the dog with TCC and I worked together at my vet. I hope your dog will be okay and just has irritation or a minor bladder infection. Please keep us updated on how things go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.