Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have two dogs, boty microchipped. One though AKC reunite and the other through Save This Life.
Im curious on how they work. For instance if i lose my pet, its picked up by a good Samaritan and taken to the vet/shelter. They scan, find out shes chipped and they get the number. Then what? Is there one massive database that all these subcompanies sumbit the info to? Or doea their scanner say what company the chip is from?
Like what happens after they get the number? How does someone know what registery its under and how to contact me? Etc.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I do this daily when a dog or cat comes in, so I know exactly what the scanner says. Usually the person brings the dog in, they scan it and get either a set of numbers beginning with a certain variation (microchip ID code) or letters. ISO for instance uses 985 as their starter numbers for certain years.

We then take this and open up the AAHA microchip database, found here: https://www.aaha.org/pet_owner/about_aaha/microchip_lookup_tool/default.aspx, type the number in, get the manufacturer of the chip, contact the company, get the owner's details, and finally call the numbers they have registered.

This ends in around a 95% success rate of getting the pet to the owner. The 5% issue lies with owner's not updating info or registering the chip. Other than that, if no one brings the pet in they won't get scanned, therefore the owner's may not be notified. Though I here they are working on GPS chips - but don't count on that hitting the market for awhile.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
OP not trying to hijack the thread here but @KayWilson mentioned the ISO standard and as my Jessie doesnt have ISO standard but needs it for moving to UK i wonder how i get it made to that standard?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts