Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out today that the county I live in has made it mandatory to microchip your pets. I have read reports and stories of health issues that are associated with microchips and do not want to do this to my pet, but it seems that my hands are tied and I won't have much of a choice.

When speaking to my vet's nurse about these concerns she rolled her eyes and said in a mocking tone "Let me guess - you've heard the cause cancer."

"Yes," I said "that's exactly what I've heard because that is what some studies have shown."

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on this. If it weren't for careless owners who abandon their dogs, then responsible pet owners wouldn't be facing this issue. Such a shame.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
my understanding is the side effects are really rare. I have only heard antedotes and never met a person whos had an issue with the chip (other than one moving a bit, so harder to find with a scanner) all my animals are chipped, it gives me great peace o' mind :)

Also, if your dog is lost, if som'one finds your dog and decides it "cute" and keeps it, a chip is your only way to prove the dog is yours, I have heard of vets scanning peoples pets and finding out the dog was stolen.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Does anyone actually have a stuides that show a link between microchips and cancer? I met tons of pets who are microchiped. I have yet to meet, or even hear of, one who had cancer due to the mircochip. The chip itself doesn't send out any radio waves and just sits there under the skin until it is scaned. I have heard anecdotal stories that it's the GPS microchips that cause cancer, but I've yet to see any proof of it. There much more benefit to having your pet microchiped then there is risk.

And just some food for thought here. There's more proven risks and complications involved with rabies vaccines then there is with microchips.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i have one of my dogs microchipped. she came from the breeder that way.... i still havent registered it and shes 3 now :eek: im such a terrible owner, i really need to get that done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway... there is no reason not to microchip. ive never even heard of any health risks because of it.... i think its great they require it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were studies done in Germany that showed that microchips caused cancer in lab mice. Of course, what the microchips did, what they were made of and what they were used for wasn't disclosed in the article I read - so I have no idea whether or not the two studies apply.

However, the body does have a natural defense system which attacks foreign objects. To me, it makes sense that a chip has the potential to cause illnesses and tumors.

I'll have to look into this some more. Thank you for replying to this thread. I don't personally know anyone who has their pets microchipped (though after this law, I anticipate that I will meet many), so it does bring some peace of mind to hear that your pets have not suffered negative results. :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I'll have to look into this some more. Thank you for replying to this thread. I don't personally know anyone who has their pets microchipped (though after this law, I anticipate that I will meet many), so it does bring some peace of mind to hear that your pets have not suffered negative results. :)

pretty much every animal to come out of the shelter system in Ca in the last five years is chipped ;) Its included in the adoption fee generally :) My understanding is most of the country is that way also.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is how it is in the shelters in my area they automatically chip them all. I suppose there could be ways around it if you truly dont want to do it.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
2 of mine are chipped and the others are tattoo'd
I've been meaning to get them chipped as well.
I've never known anyone who's had any issues with Microchipping either. I would hope that if a dog has an adverse reaction to it, that it's very rare. I think some vaccinations are far worse when it comes to documented negative results.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
My dog and one of my rabbits is chipped. I think all dogs and cats should be for sure. I've NEVER heard of it having ANY health problems. And if that's the law-then I'd get it done for sure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My dogs have ear tattoos as ex-racers, but i still got them chipped as i feel it gives me a much better chance of being re-united as not everyone would check the ears or know who to contact.

I imagine there are risks, but given the huge numbers of animals that are chipped worldwide it doesn't sound like its a high risk so i feel the benefits outweigh the possible risks. There's risks with everything, some human medicine which is fine for the majority of the population may cause issues in a few. My partner's dad has spent the last few years in hospital due to complications, when it turned out during an emergency operation he was allergic to the anaesthetic.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I don't know about side affects, but both Missy and Betty are Microchipped. I would Microchip Cleo, but she has become such a homebody since her retirement from fulltime tracking that I don't foresee her running off. She rarely gets more than 6 feet away from me now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts