Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Im new to the forum and I have registered because I couldn't find any info or answer regarding my question elsewhere.

I have recently discovered that when I am close to our dogs head I can hear a "funny" low frequency noise coming from over her left ear. At first while sleeping with her on the sofa I didn't really give too much attention to it but a few days ago I rediscovered the sound. My girlfriend thought I was just hearing things but after a few attempts she could hear it as well. We took the puppy to the vet yesterday for her monthly checkup and as I live in a foreign country I just later understood that when mentioning this concern to him he just thought we were nuts and said that it was impossible that it made any noises. I'd like to take her back later on of course to let him listen to it.

To cut to the chase my questions are: Have any of you encountered anything like this with your pets? Could it be a malfunction that needs to be fixed or should I not worry about it at all..? If its not the chip what could it be?

This is a very silent, as I said low freq. sound I could only compare to my phone charger plugged into the wall socket.

Any info on this is appreciated! :ponder:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't know what to tell you other than I've never heard of this happening before. Never had such an issue with any of my animals (all chipped).

·
Registered
562 Posts
... low frequency noise coming from over her left ear.

...This is a very silent, as I said low freq. sound I could only compare to my phone charger plugged into the wall socket.
These two things stuck out for me for a couple of reasons.

One, the microchip should absolutely *not* be in or on your dogs head. They are supposed to be placed between the shoulder blades on her back.

Two, microchips are passive transmitters. They don't have an internal power source, and do not put off a signal. They will sit there inert for years until activated by a specific frequency of radio wave from a scanner (hopefully). When that frequency hits the chip, it gives it enough power to broadcast a small amount of data (its number) over a short distance.

I'm not sure what's going on there, but I don't think it's the microchip. It's possible, if you're hearing it in the same place in your house, it's coming from some other electrical/radio source that's bouncing around your walls just right in certain instances. Just a guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts