Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Metronidazole was prescribed for 3.5 lb poodle (14 yr old) for colitis. She did well from May 15 until December when she started developing neurological symptoms associated with metronidazole. When I withdrew the drug, the neuro problems subsided but the colitis came back. I was working on a balance with fiber in diet and no metro when I took her in to our Vet. After examining her and hearing from us she said it was unlikely that the metro was giving her problems since she had been on it so long, even though I told her I thought it was building to a toxic level. She instructed me to give her the usual dose at Noon that day, which I did and my little poodle was dead by 2:00. My vet had closed for the day and I was instructed to take her to a nearby city (we are in a rural area) and of course we didn't make it in time. Please be aware that the toxicity may build up over time and be alert to all of the side effects that may be caused by this drug. And listen to your gut. I didn't and I am heartbroken and unable to get this out of my mind.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I'm sorry for you loss.

Have you asked for a necropsy? If you did that could hold answers on what happened-and importantly if your vet was wrong. In the end it doesn't change things but if the vet was incorrect-you could have a case with the body that holds his/her license.

Don't blame yourself-it was impossible to know what the outcome would be. You followed vet orders-like doctor's they are falliable-we just hope it doesn't happen when it's us. But sometimes that happens.

I'm very sorry to hear what you've been through. Know that your dog knew he was loved, and had a good home-more then he could ask for. *hugs*

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your little dog. Metronidazol can indeed cause neurological signs, and my gut tells me that it should be used with much caution in a geriatric dog who may have other underlying conditions that can affect kidney and liver function, etc.

Could you please post a picture of your little dog? I know you must miss her so much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
oh, I am very sorry for your lost. I can sympathize as we lost our pug yesterday too. The idiot vet didn't take any blood samples to check what is wrong with her and she didn't tell me also that based on the xray, her liver was enlarged. Imagine how I felt when I went back to pick up our pug and the vet's assistant told me she's dead!

Sometimes, I also wonder about the medicines that are injected if they may have side effects. Thanks for sharing about your experience. I will be sure to watch that out as we have two more dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts