Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting Gus Gus his bedding and such at petsmart today I ran into a couple with two Akita dogs. Or so I thought. I got chatting with them about their "akitas" and how well behaved they were . Not barking at other dogs just calmly standing next to there owners.

They told me these cuties are Shiba Inus. I've seen other odd breed dogs (mals Japanese chins etc) but never a Shiba at petsmart.

I'm curious now. What do ya'll know about these dogs ( personal would be neat to.) My curiousity has been peaked with those two.

However currently trying to find a good papillon or Cavachon breeder or a rescue. So no shibas for my house hold.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Shibas aren't for everyone. They are extremely stubborn, aloof, skittish, independent and oh.my.god do they shed A LOT.

Unfortunately they became so popular so quickly, there are many Shibas in shelters because owners realized how much of a handle they can be.

They require very consistent, firm training. They need very early socializing to people and dogs if you want them to be friendly.

Some are cuddlers, others aren't. Mine isn't :( Some are very vocal and yappy, I'm very lucky that mine doesn't bark at all (only in his sleep haha).

They adapt very well to any kind of lifestyle. They can be very active, mine loves going out on walks/hikes but he also loves to be lazy and sleep in. I have met other Shibas that love the water too!

They are very intelligent and very sneaky! They are very good escape artists.

They are not really recommended for first time dog owners but Keiko was my first dog and I think I lucked out on his temperament. From the get-go he was very calm and chill. I also read a lot and did a lot of research before getting him and I spent a lot of time training him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.