Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we had a client bring in a fluffy puppy who I was not sure of the breed. I thought she was a mix but it turns out she was this breed: Native American Indian Dog Breed | Information on Native American Indian Dogs
The client bought her in Alabama. He has severe allergies. He has not had an issue with a reaction to this pups coat. Happy for him. It will be interesting to see her grow and change!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
From my understanding they're not a breed, but basically the people who breed them cross shepherds, huskies, malamutes, and a little bit of wolf to get a dog that looks like a wolf or wolf dog but has more dog like traits.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize that however, where do breeds come from in the first place? They are created for a purpose. If you look at most breeds history they are created from other breeds mixed together some of which are now extinct. Done until a breed standard is written and excepted by a group. Everything has a beginning...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree. Every breed is a mix, in all honesty we are just waiting for the "Golden Doodle" to become a AKC Registered breed.

I think those dogs are very cool, but would never own one.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yesterday we had a client bring in a fluffy puppy who I was not sure of the breed. I thought she was a mix but it turns out she was this breed: Native American Indian Dog Breed | Information on Native American Indian Dogs
The client bought her in Alabama. He has severe allergies. He has not had an issue with a reaction to this pups coat. Happy for him. It will be interesting to see her grow and change!
My best friend just got an American Indian before Christmas. She is super adorable, but before she got the puppy, I had never heard of the "breed". She does have the husky looks, but....different.

Here is Tundra!

15935415_10154663816220310_1088431167_o.jpg

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I agree. Every breed is a mix, in all honesty we are just waiting for the "Golden Doodle" to become a AKC Registered breed.

I think those dogs are very cool, but would never own one.
Possibly, but goldendoodle breeders are all over the board which will make it more difficult. Cockapoos have been around since the 50s and still aren't a breed.

I remember reading about this "breed" and know there was a lot of controversy because of the wolf being mixed in, which is fair.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I realize that however, where do breeds come from in the first place? They are created for a purpose. If you look at most breeds history they are created from other breeds mixed together some of which are now extinct. Done until a breed standard is written and excepted by a group. Everything has a beginning...
Not disagreeing with that, I'm just saying that your first thought, that the puppy was a mix, is actually correct. They're not a recognized breed yet and are still very much a mix. They're still pretty inconsistent and even the breeds mixed in differ from breeder to breeder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts