Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just curious what your dogs prefer. Chess and Echo are on complete opposites. Chess will respect mental barriers extremely well, but physical not so much. She views them as an obstacle to be overcome. Echo will respect any fence/crate/barrier, but has no concept of mental barriers.

For example, I can teach Chess yard boundaries in a few short sessions. At my parents house, it's not fenced, yet she never stepped foot out of the very specific boundaries I taught her. But put her in a fenced in yard where she hasn't been taught to stay, and she can escape anything. She'll eat through wire fencing, run through electric, that sort of thing. But after being corrected for escaping and realizing it's home, she'll never get out. She stayed in a pen at my parents for 6 years without even attempting to get out, although i know she could have(it was a good pen, but she's very talented lol). She's also eaten through a door to get out of a house that she didn't know. Yet stays out of any room in the house that i tell her not to go in with the door wide open.

Echo on the other hand, while safe off leash, doesn't understand boundaries if there's nothing physical there to stop her. I trained her the same way i did Chess, and she just doesn't get it very well. But if you fence her in, crate her or lock her up, she will never get out or even try. And training her to stay out of particular rooms is very frustrating because again, if it's open she thinks its perfectly fine.

There's definitely pros and cons to both! Chess is better off leash, because she respects all the mental barriers of what she's not allowed to do. However, Echo is easier to contain when we travel because she never questions a fence or a gate.
You can tell the difference even playing with them. If you put a toy out of Echo's reach, she'll give up and find something else. Chess will move heaven and earth to get to her toys.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Dogs are different. I've found that it's easier to train mental barriers as you call them when they're marked by a clearly defined physical barrier. Some pick up on that barrier very quickly and others have trouble understanding it.

When echo approaches the yardline does she hesitate and then decide to cross or does she not even notice it?

If she notices it than training needs to point towards teaching that she's not allowed to cross. If she doesn't notice it you need to put more work into marking it out. You could try scent marking it with a cooking spray. I've never done that but I've heard of it working.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a big deal to me, they're different dogs, and as such different things work for them.

For Echo, it's not that she's inherently disobedient or dumb, it's the beagle nose. When it's turned on, she simply doesn't notice that she's past where she's supposed to be. Just means I watch her more carefully. I continue to train her, but I know she'll never be as conscientious and reliable as Chess.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
HaHa will try to push against barriers. I have the then fiberboard panel from the back of a huge 36 inch tube t.v cabinet that I use as a barrier to keep the dogs in a room but they can still see out through the vent holes. Jaya won't bother it at all, but HaHa will claw or rear up and use both front feet to try to make it give. He also learned very quickly how to push the doggy door open.

Jaya's afraid of the doggy door...the flapping sound scares her, but I wish I could teach her it's ok and won't hurt her...she's seen HaHa go through it but doesn't seem to want to follow.

Both dogs have problems with mental barriers... Jaya's hard to teach because most sounds and movements have her bolting for a hiding spot and HaHa...well, lets just say he's not the sharpest tack on the corkboard....lol. He can learn quickly but at the same time, he forgets things within a day of learning them if one doesn't keep reminding him of what he learned. His mental disability definitely involves a issues with his memory.

Stormy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts