Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, you all know Gunner.

Well, probably not. He's a black lab, almost 7 years old, heavy chewer, VERY food motivated. He needs some mental enrichment. He's at home some days, and he gets bored, breaks into the kitchen, and eats our butter. Always butter, nobody knows why.

So, I was thinking, his birthday is coming up. I wanted to give him some mental enrichment toys. But I don't want them all to be food-based, since my dad doesn't want to need to load up food toys every day.

Gunner is also a heavy chewer. All the non-food-based toys, though, were stuffed animal toys, and super chewable.

So, any good suggestions for a non-food-based mental enrichment toy for heavy chewers?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maybe not as mentally enriching as you were hoping for, but maybe a giggle ball? It's a hard ball that makes sounds as it moves around. Is he good at self-entertaining for the most part? If yes, a chukitt or jolly ball he can carry around and bite might work as well.

And I know you said non-food-based, but since the main issue is your dad not wanting to load them, they don't necessarily have to be off the table. You could stuff a Kong with moistened kibble, peanut butter, plain yogurt (more recipes online), and stick it in a bag or container you put in the freezer overnight. A) this makes it last longer, and B) your dad would only have to pull it out of the bag. Ten seconds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe not as mentally enriching as you were hoping for, but maybe a giggle ball? It's a hard ball that makes sounds as it moves around. Is he good at self-entertaining for the most part? If yes, a chukitt or jolly ball he can carry around and bite might work as well.

And I know you said non-food-based, but since the main issue is your dad not wanting to load them, they don't necessarily have to be off the table. You could stuff a Kong with moistened kibble, peanut butter, plain yogurt (more recipes online), and stick it in a bag or container you put in the freezer overnight. A) this makes it last longer, and B) your dad would only have to pull it out of the bag. Ten seconds.
He steals jolly balls from horses, so we have plenty of those. And I used to volunteer at a place with a giggle ball, and I rarely met a dog who didn't like it, so I might get one of those. He also has a Kong, somewhere, maybe... Okay, we probably lost it. But I never thought of freezing it, that might work great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts