Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be long... I apologize now :)

Our dog, Simon, is a mix pitt and lab. He is about 43lbs, 6 yrs old, and we have been told his weight is just fine for his body. I have been his "mother" for about two years now... the owner before me had him since he was a pup. She handed him over with little information except that he had calcium build up in his spine at some point in his life.

Last April, this time last year, Simon started looking uncomfortable and seemed to be favoring his backside. At some points his hair would become matted and his tail between his legs.... days later he was in such bad shape that he was not able to to get up without help from us. It was like he was not about to communicate to his legs to move. When he would get to the point of being able to walk, while going down the stairs he would let out little yelps.

So, we took him to the Vet. She was great. She tested him for Lymes Disease and other things and he came out negative for all of it. At the end, she diagnosed him with Meningitis and gave us muscle relaxers, pain relievers, and antibiotics. One week later he was back to his normal self and has been until now... exactly one year later.

I will be taking him back to the Vet but was wondering if anyone on here would have more information for me regarding this. I wonder if it is arthritis that is acting up in the changing weather???? Or is this the way Meningitis works?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
How was he diagnosed? Did he have an MRI? I question if he did, in fact, have "meningitis" or something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there was never an MRI. I'm happy to hear I am not the only one questioning his diagnosis. It seemed to me that they could not find what was wrong so just came up with Meningitis. But the meds did work...

I guess my question is if anyone has ever had this problem with their dogs?

I am also thinking about bringing him to a chiropractor. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I say you find yourself a Neurologist. There's one at UPenn and there's some at Cornell (being that you're from Lancaster, Pa). Could be a nerve issue, could be a disc issue. Could even be a brain issue to be totally honest. Without seeing the dog, it would be impossible pretty much to take a guess as to where the problem could be.

I wouldn't do anything like a chiropractor until you come to a better diagnosis-- or at least one for this bout of issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts