Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my grandmother just found out that her new puppy has megaesophagus.. :( she is in he 70's so we think it will be too much for her to handle and since i'm the animal lover i will probably be the one who ends up with the puppy.. i have never heard of this disease before and i have a new puppy as well, i dont know exactly how much work this requires but i imagine alot if nobody else in the family will take this puppy.. as i understand, you have to stand the dog upright and feed wet food slowly twice a day?? i havent talked to her vet (i of course will do tons of research if i take her in) what should we expect?? i have to consider the wellbeing of my 3 dogs, if this is going to be overwhelming i will have to say no, but the feeding twice a day doesnt seem so bad.. then again, with dogs things are rarely as easy as you think they will be..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i saw those sites already thank you! i emailed it to my dad.. maybe he can build one for her.. i was just wondering if anybody has dealt with this before.. my grandmother said there is nothing anybody can do, but i will def call her vet and take her to ours right away if i do get her.. my grandmother is going to try and keep her, it just seems like a lot of work for her.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Yes, you need to look into the congenital issues with a dog that young-- if it's a PRAA, then you should definitely pursue surgery. If they don't know if it's a PRAA, then that's something to work up.

Is she overall weak anywhere else (could it be congenital myasthenia gravis?)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just talked to my grandmother and she says its not PRAA that she was born with it.. she says the dog is basically fine other than that.. my grandmother said she is having a problem getting the dog to stand up to eat but my dad will build her a bailys chair.. hopefully it will be fairly easy to manage and my grandmother can train her dog to use the chair, she doesnt want to give the dog up untill she knows she cant manage it.. oh and she did get a second oppinion yesterday.. thanks :) my grandmother seems very positive about it.. she joined a megaesophagus support group..

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts