Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 8 year old lab, who's had issues with weird tongue swallowing habits, licking, gulping and the unbelievably worst breath ever since she was a puppy. When it first started I called it 'clickin lickin', but it turned in to hard swallows, stomach problems, belching and lifetime worry for me.
I watched as she went through these changes, affecting her comfort and happiness. Gradual swelling around the neck/throat area, depression setting in...but I was the ONLY one who could see these changes. Every time I took her to a Vet, they said nothing was wrong. Or they would prescribe medication for something they were guessing on, while I continued to insist something was wrong with her throat. So, we would end up with a new Vet, in hope of finding the answer to what it was.
I spent tons of money on a variety of test and expensive procedures, natural remedies etc; And finally, after more than 7 years of constant day and night worrisome noises coming from her stomach, mouth and throat...a CAT scan revealed the esophagus to be quite large. I was told to watch for signs of food aspiration. The Vet could not officially rule it to be mega esophagus because the technician would only say it was bubbled out?? I was so relieved to hear of something that would be the reason for her actions I didn't ask as to exactly what that meant...and still don't know.
That was 6 weeks ago and her symptoms have rapidly progressed in to being much worse. She is particularly sensitive to the area around her throat and will do fake yawns and most of the time a big belch with just slightly lifting the skin by pulling her hair. There are no lumps or tender areas she reacts to when the throat area is manually manipulated by a Vet (and they all did it), but the swelling grows everyday.
The hair gets thick and dirty in that area, and while giving her a bath, day before yesterday, I gently move my fingers and nails through to get it clean. I could tell it was uncomfortable (irritating) but didn't appear painful. After her bath, the swelling got much bigger. She became very tired, her third eyelid was showing and she jumped when ever I touched her.
The next day, yesterday she began vomiting and drinking triple amounts of water, to which she would exasperate shortly after. Hind legs would stagger, not too bad but noticable. Again, uninterested in anything but laying down. Eating dinner was anything but normal, as she usually has it gone in less than a minute. A couple hours later she threw that up and continued to exasperate water. When she turned down her night time snacky, I knew something was wrong, and when her breathing became short, we left for the Emergency.
Xrays showed what the vet called "some changes" and her white blood count was just slightly high. Lots of gas (not unusual). She ordered no food or water till 8pm tonight, gave her fluids and a shot of something to stop the vomiting. I didn't want that but she was almost adamant.
Today she is worse. I was awakened by her breathing and her the smell of her breath. She does not sleep in the bed, but on the floor. I want to feed her anyways because she will inhale food if she goes that long without eating. She is very thirtsy and I want to allow a little water. But I don't want to take her back to emergency to be seen by that Vet. I have to wait till tomorrow for her own vet. Do you think it would be ok to feed her just a little bit? I think she has inhaled something but the Vet says it could be due to the air we breath...givin the area in which we live....really, not buying it. Can't do a thing but wait....I hate this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,646 Posts
Do you now have a Bailey Chair to feed her from? Those chairs are great for feeding dogs with Megaesophagus. https://www.thedodo.com/bailey-chairs-saving-dogs-1020234858.html

I've also seen some people making food balls and coating them with oil, or getting the food to a liquid consistency. http://www.2ndchance.info/vomiting-megaesophagus.pdf

If you feed her tonight try and feed her vertical and try to have it be pate type canned food thinned down with water so that it's like a soup.

Here's a video of a dog in a Bailey Chair so you can see how your girl should eat
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top