Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Ringo is 11 weeks old and has had another round of vaccines, I've started taking him out and about more. Previously we just had people over to the house or I've taken him to my parents', and on a couple of easy hikes out in the desert.

Today we went to our favorite dog food store. We spent about 15 mins just in the parking lot. We were far enough away from things that he was happy and calm, and I'd give him treats every time he saw a person or a car. Then we went inside. The awesome staff was happy to help out as always (one of the reasons I really love their store!). He was very excited to meet everyone but he still remembered to sit to get treats and pets.

Now for the dogs... We saw two dogs while we were there. The first one (Doberman-sized) literally came out of nowhere and took us both by surprise. They were both really excited with tails wagging, and I was happy that he didn't jump all over her face. We parted ways but after that Ringo kept whining and pulling after the other dog. We walked to the back of the store where it was quiet but he still seemed excited/stressed. We did some basic obedience in an attempt to calm down. He did listen and take treats and lay down for a minute. Then, while we were still far away, we saw another dog in an aisle and he got excited again, pulling and whining. I didn't move the entire time he was pulling, but clicked and treated as soon as he turned to look back at me and after that he took some steps toward me (click and treat) and I was then able to lead him out of sight of the other dog and we did a few more obedience exercises until the dog left.

Am I approaching things the wrong way? Should I have let him meet the second dog? My goal was to wait for him to calm down but by the time he did, the other dog was gone. I want him to be able to meet other dogs and I think it's natural for him to be excited, but I want to encourage polite greetings. Any tips for the future?

Good news is that STAR Puppy starts at the end of the month, and Basic Obedience after that!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sounds like you're doing well, I think it's fair to not let her meet if she's pulling too hard, especially in a store. We asked for a sit for 1 second before Echo met other dogs at that age.

Puppy classes are so fun and you can keep greetings in mind to ask the trainer about.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I may try just asking for a simple sit or something first next time.

We have an older dog at home that he plays with all the time so hopefully that will help. Other dogs are probably going to be a better teacher than me.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree with @Chas. Keep up with what you're doing! :thumbsup:

I should have been more diligent with my pup at that age. Now she's almost 5 months and every time someone walks by shes always DYING to say hi so I will make her sit as they approach. I feel bad when they don't stop to stay hi to her (cuz I feel like I made her sit for nothing lol) but I will reward her if she sits and is calm the whole time as they pass her.

Your pup will get lots more opportunities to meet new dogs, but it's more important to strengthen that basic obedience of learning to sit and being calm before meeting new dogs/pups/people. He's going to have a blast in puppy class!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the most part I've been focused on meeting new people/things and going all kinds of places but I know we're bound to run into other dogs (especially at a dog food store :p). He was doing a fantastic job of greeting people and I just didn't feel as prepared when the other dog rushed over to say hi. We'll definitely continue to work on our obedience!

For a long time, our older dog (5 y.o. pit) was SO rude about greeting other dogs AND people. She would just get way too excited. She would jump all over people and if we had friends over, she would be in their space pushing her head under their hands and attention-seeking. She also pulled to meet people and dogs, and nothing we did could get her to even look at us let alone sit. We did (and still do) lots of training with her and even though she still LOVES to meet everyone, at least she knows how to go about it more appropriately now. Our biggest achievement was being able to wait calmly in a crowded vet's office and stand in line with other dogs and people. Hopefully I'm getting Ringo off to a better start!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts