Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since it is such a beautiful day with a breeze out today and since I didn't have any more classes today I decided to take Sawyer out on a walk once I got home. I was planning to go our normal route on the road I liked, but for some reason I decided to go a different way today. Its nice to since its a residential road that loops off the main road. Plus its a "scenic drive" so the its a pretty walk and all the trees create a pretty good shade. Yet again during this walk I was reminded just how oblivious Sawyer is to chipmunks and squirrel even if there in plane sight lol. Anyways, we were just about at the end of the road when suddenly I heard a little I guess you could call it a alert bark. And all the sudden a dog that was sitting on one of the houses porches came straight out onto the road and straight up to Sawyer. Thank god Sawyer loves dogs and the other dog seemed to be more curious in the strange dog (Sawyer) then being aggressive, I don't think I would have known what to do if the other dog was aggressive. But he turned out to be a adorable rat terrier mix. He seemed on the older side, possibly deaf, and missing an eye. Thankfully he didn't seem interested in following us when we went to keep walking but he just kept standing in the road. Who ever owns him is lucky that pretty much the only people who use the road are the ones who live on it. It was also hard to try and get the dog back into the yard because I had Sawyer with me, he did go back to his yard as we started walking further down the road. Then while I was trying to get the ratty mix back into his yard apparently there was another dog in the house who started barking. Then the dog at the next house down started barking. Then the dogs at the house after that (which is the last house on the road) started barking. Some how we ended up causing a chain reacting of barking :eyeroll:. At least I know I can still use that road even if the ratty mix is still out since he and Sawyer get along fine and he wont follow us if we continue walking. The only thing I didn't like about the walk was that I forgot that the walk back home is mostly walking up a steep hill then walking down a bigger steep hill.
I was also proud of Sawyer since he didn't bark when he heard some one, as far as I can tell, nailing something, or at the few people we saw in their yard, or at the black cat we saw. I hope that cat belongs to the house of the yard it ran into. It was in the road and its a pretty busy road, and he was to far away for me to see if he looked like a stray.

Reactions: amaryllis

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I stand corrected,
apparently its not that he doesn't really have any prey drive towards squirrels and chipmunks, its just that he's blind as a bat when it comes to seeing them lol. I just took him out for a bathroom trip and there was a squirrel having some harvesting fun and running around in the woods. So I pointed him out to Sawyer to see what his reacting would be (he was on leash), and boy was he interested. It also seems that we discovered possibly the stupidest squirrel. I decided to follow it a bit in the woods with Sawyer, staying at a distance, and it never ran up into the trees. Just ignored us and kept on foraging, ignoring the very interested dog and human. And we were making a lot of noise too from all the dried leaves. I mean he even sat down and started eating a nut and we were about a few feet away and the squirrel didn't have a care in the world :eyeroll:. I even went closer on my own to see how close it would let me get. It happily continued to eat its nut while I got only a few inches from it. Then it finally decided that it was a good time to run away.
Sigh, only squirrels lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts