Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a Doberman Mix named Emmy (like the Emmy Awards). I adopted her when she was approximately 1 year old from a Doberman Rescue. She is STILL big puppy and now she is 7 yrs old! She thinks she is a 70lb lapdog and her job is to be an "up my butt" shadow 24/7. :p but I love her to death. She is my best friend and soulmate. I also own a lot of other animals as you can see from my siggy. I am going to school to major in either wildlife biology or zoology. I found this forum kinda by accident but it looks cool so i decided to join. :) I love forums!

~MSE

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He looks like this tough punk lizard with the pecs and biceps, so he needed a tough sounding nickname. ;)

I more often call him that or call him MLM for short than I call him Rainier.

~MSE

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a Doberman Mix named Emmy (like the Emmy Awards). I adopted her when she was approximately 1 year old from a Doberman Rescue. She is STILL big puppy and now she is 7 yrs old! She thinks she is a 70lb lapdog and her job is to be an "up my butt" shadow 24/7. :p but I love her to death. She is my best friend and soulmate. I also own a lot of other animals as you can see from my siggy. I am going to school to major in either wildlife biology or zoology. I found this forum kinda by accident but it looks cool so i decided to join. :) I love forums!

~MSE
Hi welcome! I am in school currently for Conservation Biology :D GL with schooling and congrats!!!

Might I add I am sooooo glad to see someone using booties! They need to be selling them crazy here (in the desert) but they dont! :eek: Too many babies feet get burnt and peel :( So ty for being a dog booty advocate! lol

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I don't take Emmy on hikes regularly her pads tear cus she loves to run and run till she gets tired. and even then will try to continue to keep moving. then she is miserable for a few days till she heals, so, I got the booties which seem to help somewhat. I just need to make sure they are on tightly so they don't fall off and I lose them. If she toughens her pads by doing vigorous excersize regularly then she seems to be okay without them.

~MSE

PS- I was thinking about conservation at first. :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome!! CUTE doggie :) Kudos for rescuing her :)

I've been pricing out booties for Mikey because he's a freaking clutz -how did you find Emmy adjusted to wearing them?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks :) she really is a good well behaved (most of the time at least :p) well socialized dog from coming from the situation she was in. I am really lucky she is the way she is.

Her story is that she was born and lived with another dog (if i remember correctly) in the backyard of someone's yard and they decided to feed her, water her and give her attention whenever they felt like it. When she was 6 months of age she was rescued by DARE (the dobie rescue) and they had her for 6 months when I adopted her. My dog had died a while back, and I wanted a similar dog to her (she was a doberman/rottweiler mix) and I came upon DARE because they had dobe/rott mix puppies. but they were adopted before I could apply for one. and Emmy was the last "puppy" (not related to the other pups, she was a year old, but she really was a puppy in mind and spirit). So I kinda was like I really want a puppy dog and she is the last one, Ill take her. Mind you, she was a tad scrawny in my eyes, i mus admit, but she was one of the best, decisions I ever made. Even though I didn't think so at 1st cus when she was settling in she would steal pencils, toothpaste, lipsticks, those types of thing and chew on them cus she was anxious to be in a new place and cus of her experience as an outside dog it took her a looong time before we trained her that when she went outside it really was okay for us to close the door behind her and we wouldn't leave her out there forever (cus she would start digging) and she had never been on a leash before she came to me cus the foster had a acre she let all dogs run around in, so she learned only after months if she walked on a leash it was ok to pee/poop on the leash. (plus she had atrocious leash manners, and has gotten better but still forgets them if she isn't wallked or excersized regularly).

But despite all that and a few other quirks, she is an exteeemmmelly smart dog, she only needs to learn about something once and will remember it forever and is sooo good with people (in fact she is more possessive with me with other dogs but any person she is okay with me, although I'm certain she'd protect me if i was threatened in any way). She is great with all of my various animals. She thinks the gpigs are her babies and that they don't clean their bums well enough ;). I can do anything to her even if she doesn't particularly like it, but she'll ut up with it for me. I also love the fact that she is such a lounge hound inside but as soon as we go somewhere out she as that high level of energy. I think she's gonna be one of those dogs that won't slow down till she's close to 13yrs. or something.

ok ill shut up. i think i boasted over my dog enough. i just love her like everyone here loves all their animals. lol. too much love isn't a bad thing IMO :p.

~MSE

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
hi, welcome to the forum! your dog is awesome! i grew up with a dobie, she was like an all star dog too. her name was ryan. she was like a nanna to my sister and i. i think that's one reason i like big dogs so much now! we also had rotts! anyway, thanks for joining, hope to see lots of pics.

about the pad thing, i just heard about some sort of stuff that you actually "paint" on your dog's pads that helps to keep them from tearing. you may look into that too.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard about musher's secret and some stuff you can spray on their pads, and even some traction things you can stick on their pads. they have some interesting things out there.

~MSE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts