Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, this is actually about I can't another dog. Mods, please let me know if I need to delete this, or do so yourselves if this is not the appropriate place to post (@jclark343 @Aspen726).

I know nothing about matting since my dog is shorthaired, so I'm here to ask you all for your expert opinion. There is a cat down the street who we visit all the time. Sweetest cat I've ever met. We call her Friendly Kitty because we don't know her name. Earlier this week, I was petting down her side when I noticed she felt very very lumpy. It scared me, because I thought it was tumors or something crazy like that. She is quite old. When I looked closer, it looks like the fur was completely lifted from one section of her body (and I could see her skin) and was very lumpy in the surrounding areas. Is this matting looks like? I'd like to knock on doors and see if anyone will claim her and then bring her to be groomed and bring her back if that's what it is. But I have no way of knowing because, as stated, I have no experience with this.

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts
I'm fine with leaving this here as you may get more responses. There is a Cat section but I'm not sure how much tragic it gets.

Mats kind of look like dreadlocks. They can get really close to the skin and can be very painful. Poor kitty :(

Try googling matted cat fur and see if it looks like hers.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
If she's super fluffy, it probably is. My cat's mom had the fluffiest hair you ever saw, and even with constant grooming it would still mat on occasion because there was just so much of it. Thankfully, she loved grooming and was very patient and thick skinned so grooming her was a breeze :)

Hopefully kitty has a home and can get a good groom. Poor cat.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It DOES sound like matting! My DIL's cat hates to be groomed, and mats easily, so they take him to the groomer for a 'Lion Clip' every couple of months!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
When they get matted like that, dog or cat, its very painful for them. When we found Samantha at the shelter, she had been seriously matted, the shelter staff de-matted her, but she had bald patches all over her body. Though she was more comfortable, it was difficult to see, knowing what she had gone through. In the seven years we have had her, she has never matted again, I brush and comb her daily. With your cat, you may have to have her professionally groomed, as they have the tools to deal with it. Poor cat needs someone to help her get the relief she deserves.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Oh mats. Life with an Aussie includes serious mats. They are extremely painful as they pull on the skin. They get much, much worse when they get wet.

The kindest thing you can do if they are bad is just cut them or shave them out. I really don't believe in trying to "demat" as it just hurts them and makes them hate the groomer. The easiest thing is to cut them out and then keep up on brushing (not that it helps since it isn't your cat :p )

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Sounds like mats, and pretty bad ones.

Do you live where it's still cold? If you do you have to take that into consideration if you take her to get groomed. Shaving her will leave her very vulnerable to any cold weather that happens, and it being only mid Feb all of the U.S. is still open to freezing weather. I'd either wait till the last of the cold weather is done to have her groomed if she's going to be returned to where you visit her, or I'd get her groomed right away and adopt her. If she and my dog got along I'd probably be doing the later since I hate to see loving cats on the street, they're way to vulnerable to all kinds of horrible things.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Rain it's pretty warm here now (Louisiana spring starts early). I don't think she'll be too cold.

So now I'm in a bit of a quandary. This is not my cat. She definitely has a home where she's always sitting in the driveway. I've seen her owner and have mentioned we love his cat (he was polite but not extremely friendly). This cat needs to be groomed or even shaved. It's bad. I hate that she's in pain. What's the best way to approach this tactfully?
@PoppyKenna, she has pretty long hair. She looks just like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would be very careful if you attempt to remove the mats yourself, since you know she is an "owned" cat, and you could be held liable if she is injured (personally, I wouldn't do it; but if you do, be very careful). The vets and groomers I know recommend not using scissors to cut mats from cats because they have thin/loose skin, and it is very easy to get the skin with the hair- we see lots of cats with triangle shaped scissor cut marks from their owners trying to "demat" them at home prior to or in leu of grooming to save money- they usually end up having to get sutures, plus the cat still needs groomed! Sometimes you can break the mats up with your fingers or a comb (bit by bit) if they aren't very tight, if they are tight, they will probably need to be shaved out with a clipper (see a professional). I'm not sure what the best way to go about getting the owner to get her groomed would be, if you know of anyplace that does cat grooming (not all places do), maybe mention it to him the next time you encounter them, but be prepared for him not to be very receptive :( . It's nice that you care about her, she sounds like a sweet cat :)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh goodness no, @busannie, I'd never attempt it myself. I'll see if I can mention it to him next time I see him, I'm just not sure how long it'll be.

Yes, she is the SWEETEST cat ever! My 2 year old gives her hugs and kisses and she leans in and loves all over him. She always runs out to greet us. Love our little Friendly Kitty.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If she's super fluffy, it probably is. My cat's mom had the fluffiest hair you ever saw, and even with constant grooming it would still mat on occasion because there was just so much of it. Thankfully, she loved grooming and was very patient and thick skinned so grooming her was a breeze :)

Hopefully kitty has a home and can get a good groom. Poor cat.
I read this whole post but missed the "my CATS mom" part so I thought you were just talking about how matted your moms hair was

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I read this whole post but missed the "my CATS mom" part so I thought you were just talking about how matted your moms hair was
Haha. My mom actually has very nice hair. However, when I was younger my hair would mat! It was totally bizarre and awful, but at least I've gotten very good at working them out of pets :)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh my gosh :rofl: if only I could "like" more than once!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Haha. My mom actually has very nice hair. However, when I was younger my hair would mat! It was totally bizarre and awful, but at least I've gotten very good at working them out of pets :)
OMG so would mine! But I didn't brush it and didn't let anyone get close enough to brush it so that's probably why. I went through a period of time where I would just literally not let anyone near my head. Eventually one of the times I had to have it cut off and someone thought I was a boy and I remember being SO offended :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
maybe you can try using the cute toddler factor in your favour. when you see the owner tell him the little one wants to know if kitty can go to the hairdresser and tell him you are happy to take her. He might say no, but it might also make him think about doing something about it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes, I would leave them alone as it's not your cat, unless you see sores, bad skin, something serious, then see if you can track down the owner.
Yes, matts are uncomfortable, and unfortunately common, and some cats just don't take to brushing.
I have one such, in his young years, he loved being brushed, mats were not a problem, but now he's old and sensitive, and brushing him upsets him to the point of struggle and panic. I do what I can, the mats still form. We had him lion cut/shaved once and he required full anesthetic. The vet does not recommend doing this again unless absolutely necessary.
My neighbour (who works at an animal shelter), helped me out, and shaved some of the worst bits, but also gave me an excellent tip, which is to scissor out mats perpendicular to the cat. I've gotten most of the mats out this way, one or three snips at a time, but still, he's an old cat, and I can't put him through what he would consider daily torture.
And yes, cats have VERY loose skin, especially old cats, so you cannot cut close to the skin, but using scissors to break up the mats from the top, allows them to grow out and fall out on their own (I do tiny tiny snips, halfway into the mat).
Absolutely do not do anything to somebody else's cat. Old cats cannot take the stress that a proper grooming may inflict--if you can find the owner, then you can offer to help. Sometimes gentle brushing with a pin brush is enjoyed by a cat, and is better than nothing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts