Dog Forum banner

Which breed best suits me? Please elaborate if you have the time!

• Toy Fox Terrier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeshond

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to bring home a puppy in about a year and a half/two years, and I have narrowed down my list to the Toy Fox Terrier, Keeshond, and Icelandic Sheepdog, but I have been stuck trying to decide between these three! I have been in contact with breeders of all three that have been helpful, but I am still stuck! These are the biggest requirements/wishes I have for my next dog:

1. I currently have a 6.5 year old beagle mix and a cat. Both are great with other dogs, I just need a dog that will be great with them.
2. I do a LOT of RV camping - a lot. I need a dog that will be comfortable in this small space during nights and meals. I spend most of my time outside during the day, so a dog with a lot of energy is fine, but I definitely need a breed with an "off switch". I also need a dog that is okay with traveling and is adaptable.
3. I don't mind daily brushing and regular baths, but I do draw the line at hair cuts! I was very close to bringing home a mini poodle before I decided that the grooming would be too much for me. Shedding is no problem, either, but if it comes down to it, shedding might be the deciding factor!
4. I need an intelligent dog! I'm not so worried about an "eager to please" dog, I love a good stubborn streak, but intelligence really is something that I'm not willing to compromise when choosing a breed.
5. I am CONSIDERING taking up agility with this new dog, but that isn't set in stone yet. This is not a deciding factor for me, but it would be a plus.
6. I really would like a dog that is "velcro". My family had a Weimaraner mix that didn't care at all to be petted or handled. I love her to death, but I want a dog I can snuggle with!
7. It would be great to have a good watchdog - one that will bark when somebody approaches the house/RV, but I don't need a "protector". Just a dog to let me know that somebody is here.

These are all my requirements/wishes that I can think of at the moment, and from what I've heard from AKC/Breeders/online, the 3 breeds I have picked out match up decently. I just need help, and I'm hoping a fresh set of eyes can do that!

If this helps, I was very set on taking home a mini poodle. I love everything about the breed, except for the grooming needs. A dog similar to this would be nice.

Also, right now, I am leaning towards the toy fox terrier, but I can't tell if it's just because I think they are so cute, or if they are actually a good match! To be fair, though, I have always loved terriers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An edit after a phone call with an Icie breeder: I'm officially taking the Icelandic Sheepdog off my list! We don't seem to be a match just yet, but I still love the breed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm liking the Keeshond, but would recommend a sanitary shave for both your sakes.....the fox terrier was almost there, but the cat and cuddliness is more up in the air. But, if you really liked the mini poodle, would a mix maybe fit the bill?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm liking the Keeshond, but would recommend a sanitary shave for both your sakes.....the fox terrier was almost there, but the cat and cuddliness is more up in the air. But, if you really liked the mini poodle, would a mix maybe fit the bill?
I can't shave the Keeshond because of the double coat - it would ruin that beautiful fur! And I've talked to a breeder about the fur, they said that as long as I regularly brush, shed hair should be minimal (that might just be the breeder trying to sway my decision, though).
As for the toy fox terrier, the two breeders I've spoken to said that this breed is very cat like and responds well to cats, more so than any other terrier. Again, though, this could be just the breeders talking up their favorite breed.
When you say mix, are you meaning designer breeds like doodles, or just a standard "mutt"? Personally, I am not a fan of doodles. There are no standards for the breed, no required health testing, and they tend to be unpredictable.
Thank you so much for the response! Hopefully I am able to make a decision at some point, lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I probably misspoke. When I say sanitary shave, I mean getting the hair near the butt clipped shorter, which doesn't harm a double coat, to keep that fur from catching pee or diarrhea. It can happen with the super fluffy dogs. Not a lot of maintenance, but just in case/a heads up.
Have heard both sides on whether fox terriers are good with cats. Might depend on the breeder's own stock.
And no to the doodles. Just a mutt with a lower maintenance coat. A grandmother had a poodle-cocker mix (before the craze) that had a wavy coat that just needed a normal brush.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably misspoke. When I say sanitary shave, I mean getting the hair near the butt clipped shorter, which doesn't harm a double coat, to keep that fur from catching pee or diarrhea. It can happen with the super fluffy dogs. Not a lot of maintenance, but just in case/a heads up.
Have heard both sides on whether fox terriers are good with cats. Might depend on the breeder's own stock.
And no to the doodles. Just a mutt with a lower maintenance coat. A grandmother had a poodle-cocker mix (before the craze) that had a wavy coat that just needed a normal brush.
OH, okay! Yeah, I know what you mean now, I think I just stopped thinking for a second! I am willing to shave the paw pads and sanitary areas no problem. I just draw the line at having to shave the whole dog! I don't want to have to continuously search for new groomers as I travel, constantly having new groomers increases the chance that we get a bad one that would traumatize the poor pup. But I can do the little stuff myself!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Keeshonds are good dogs. They are a lot bigger than a toy fox terrier, so that is a consideration for you to weigh.

As for being good with travel and having an "off switch", being velcro or a watch dog, those are all far more a matter of individual temperament and training than they are about the breed.

If you get a certain breed with expectations that it will naturally have one or more of those characteristics you may be badly disappointed. Some dogs like to cuddle, some don't, within the same breed. Some dogs are alert and will bark to let you know someone is there....some overdo that....and some are just not interested.

As for an "off switch" this is never something that is part of the breed of dog. If you have a high energy dog, it is imperative that, along with giving the dog enough mental and physical exercise, (without overdoing it either), you also train the dog to settle down when it is time for that.

Using positive reinforcement, reward based training and forming a trusting bond with the dog are necessary for this.

All of these things take time and energy to train. That time spent training is part of bonding with your dog and forming, together with the dog, a close and cooperative relationship. And if you do your training right, it will be a lot of fun for both you and the dog.

I also want to put in a plug for going through a rescue group or a shelter instead of looking for a breed. The reason is that if you get a dog who is maybe a year old or so, and has lived in a foster home, you will already know if the dog is a cuddler, a barker, high or low energy, and so on because the foster person can tell you. If you get a puppy you really never know for sure what that dog will grow up to be like.

And best of all you are giving a dog a home who may otherwise never have one. Be open to the possibility that your perfect dog is a mix that came from rescue group and doesn't even look the way you thought you wanted your dog to look, but when you met you fell in love.
Best of luck finding the perfect dog!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking to bring home a puppy in about a year and a half/two years, and I have narrowed down my list to the Toy Fox Terrier, Keeshond, and Icelandic Sheepdog, but I have been stuck trying to decide between these three! I have been in contact with breeders of all three that have been helpful, but I am still stuck! These are the biggest requirements/wishes I have for my next dog:

1. I currently have a 6.5 year old beagle mix and a cat. Both are great with other dogs, I just need a dog that will be great with them.
2. I do a LOT of RV camping - a lot. I need a dog that will be comfortable in this small space during nights and meals. I spend most of my time outside during the day, so a dog with a lot of energy is fine, but I definitely need a breed with an "off switch". I also need a dog that is okay with traveling and is adaptable.
3. I don't mind daily brushing and regular baths, but I do draw the line at hair cuts! I was very close to bringing home a mini poodle before I decided that the grooming would be too much for me. Shedding is no problem, either, but if it comes down to it, shedding might be the deciding factor!
4. I need an intelligent dog! I'm not so worried about an "eager to please" dog, I love a good stubborn streak, but intelligence really is something that I'm not willing to compromise when choosing a breed.
5. I am CONSIDERING taking up agility with this new dog, but that isn't set in stone yet. This is not a deciding factor for me, but it would be a plus.
6. I really would like a dog that is "velcro". My family had a Weimaraner mix that didn't care at all to be petted or handled. I love her to death, but I want a dog I can snuggle with!
7. It would be great to have a good watchdog - one that will bark when somebody approaches the house/RV, but I don't need a "protector". Just a dog to let me know that somebody is here.

These are all my requirements/wishes that I can think of at the moment, and from what I've heard from AKC/Breeders/online, the 3 breeds I have picked out match up decently. I just need help, and I'm hoping a fresh set of eyes can do that!

If this helps, I was very set on taking home a mini poodle. I love everything about the breed, except for the grooming needs. A dog similar to this would be nice.

Also, right now, I am leaning towards the toy fox terrier, but I can't tell if it's just because I think they are so cute, or if they are actually a good match! To be fair, though, I have always loved terriers.
You might find this "breed picker" helpful. It's at AKC's website so it's pretty legit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts