Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started working on matwork with Chisum and would love to get a mat that works well. Right now I'm using an old pillow sham but really want something else.

I'd like something durable and easy to clean, something that could be used indoors or out, and something that is easily portable. Bonus points if it is pretty too :)

Any suggestions? Does anyone make mats specifically for this?

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I'm not sure if you can get specific mats, I have been seriously eye-balling this one from Ruffwear for a while, but my hubby has asked me to reign in my dog spending. :p

Currently we use this guy, and it's fine. It is certainly not pretty, but both dogs are pretty content to go get on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
I have a bunch stuff I use as mats.
memory foam bathmats (I've gotten them the last few years on Black Friday super cheap and also use them as crate pads), fleece blankets, cheap little rugs, even towels...
I made a couple of the fleece blankets. Picked a cute pattern and sewed or cut and tied the ends.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
@PoppyKenna - story of my life, I should be banned from that website. :p

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use a Navaho horse saddle blanket. Not very grippy on the hard floors but we make do with them. Cleanable, portable and pretty. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I bought the "mutt mat" for Karma from clean run. Ended up accidently buying the wrong size, but whatever I was way to lazy to exchange it hehe....

But yeah a lot of people just use bath mats

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oooh, those Mutt Mats look good too.

Question: are they fairly durable? Could they be used outside or on a camping trip or are they best for indoors?

I'm liking the Ruffwear mat because it could be used just about anywhere and could also serve as a bed if we went camping. But if this other one works too, I may go that route.

I thought about using a bath mat, but they're not really super-portable or easy to clean (ironically).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've used Mutt Mats on camping trips. I've had my older ones for 3 years and only one has a few holes from my dog digging at it while crated. The other one looks like new. They are pretty thick heavy cotton and are stitched well. They've been through the wash a million times and still look good.

The only down side is that they are slippery - no rubberized bottom. But that also means they're double sided and if one side starts to look dirty I can flip it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts