Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

Thanks so much for reading my post and taking a second to respond!

My 7 year old english mastiff has had several issues over the last year including severe allergies which have successfully been treated with 2 rounds of prednisone, arthritis flare ups treated with Rymadil and stomach upsets.

For the past 6 months or so he seems to have lost his appetite. He used to be a great eater and would eat a tire if you'd put it in his bowl. Recently he stopped eating kibble and will only have wet food & treats. I've had bood test & xrays done and the vet couldn't find anything unusual. I know he is pretty old for a mastiff but I feel like his appetite loss and lethargy are not caused by his age.

He gets kirkland lamb dry mixed with Evo beef dry and Evo wet food (different flavors). In addition he gets Glucosumine/Chondroitin/MSM, Fish oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Digestive Enzymes & probiotics.

My question are: Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with candida in dogs? Could the grain in his food cause his issues even though he's been eating the same food for years?
What grain free food would be good for a senior large breed ( I also have a 11 year coonhound) and at the same time somewhat affordable?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!!!

Carolin

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
What bloodwork has been done specifically? Has an abdominal ultrasound been done? What meds is he currently on (Rimadyl, prednisone etc) ? Anything besides the supplements you've listed? Why is he on digestive enzymes and what kind? Why the probiotics?

I don't think the grain specifically in his food is causing the loss of appetite but perhaps you should consider switching his food altogether to give him a change. If you boiled up some chicken and rice, would his appetite be completely normal? I would try that to gauge if it's his appetite or the food he's not keen on. Not full-proof obviously, but I'd personally try that for a few days to see how he's acting.

I can't give you more advice than that other than going for a second opinion elsewhere because I highly suspect there is something else going on with him causing the decreased appetite. Maybe more info would be beneficial... ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Holly, thanks for replying!

He's had stomach issues for most of his life with almost constant diarrhea, the enzymes and probiotics have made a huge difference and he hasn't had diarrhea in months!
He is currently not on any other drugs, just supplements.

The vet did full panel blood work and the only levels that were slightly raised were the globulin levels but vet thinks that's most likely caused by the arthritis.
He did an ultrasound as well but Orco only tolerated it for about 30 seconds. Vet did not find anything....

I will definitely change his food but haven't made a decision on what to feed him. I'm researching raw diets, grain free diets, homecooked diets etc.....

I'm also looking into getting an appt at a holistic vets office.

I love my dogs more than anything and will ultimately do whatever it takes but unfortunately my funds are very limited.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Unfortunately I think that more testing needs to be done on him. I think he needs a full ultrasound, even if he needs to be sedated. I'm not sure I've ever seen high globulins due to arthritis, but I guess if it's that severe it may be possible. Has he lost weight? There is the possibility that he is just tired of his food to be totally honest but at his age I'm suspicious it's something else.

I would try the boiled chicken and rice for a few days like I suggested earlier to see what his appetite is like. I'm not sure raw would be a good idea if he has digestive issues already. You're probably better off with a limited ingredient diet, with or without grains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts