Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I groom my Golden with a cheap metal undercoat rake for 15 mins a day. I get about 5g of undercoat each groom.

Recently I bought a Mars Coat King for my Golden. In the beginning I bought it because I don't think the cheap metal undercoat rake is comfortable for her. I heard so many good reviews about the coat king and just had to try it.

Can't say I'm pleased though. It seems like its cutting her good coat and not even doing much with the undercoat. I groomed her with the CK for half an hour, a bag full of fur, but still manage to get the same amount of undercoat using the old metal undercoat rake for 15 mins.

Anyone has any experiences with the CK? Am I doing something wrong? Seems like it functions very similarly with the FURminator. Pulls out a lot of hair to give the illusion that it's working when it's actually not.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
In my experiences, the furminator doesn't pull fur or damage the good coat at all. It only removes undercoat that's already loose and ready to come out. It doesn't always work with every dog though. My BC has virtually no undercoat, and doesn't shed much at all. The furminator DOES pull fur on him. But on my GSD, my cats and my chihuahua mix? It's all I use! You have to make sure you get the right kind too...There's a long haired version for fluffier dogs.

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with the CK though. Maybe somebody else can comment.

If you're happier with the rake you have, just keep using that :) Sometimes a good bath and blowing out before brushing or deshedding can really help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, you can brush infinitely with the FURminator and fur will still come out. With the metal undercoat rake, after 15 mins there's probably only 5 or 6 strands left each brush. The CK is acting exactly like the FURminator, where you can brush for 5 hours straight and the same amount of hair will come out each time. Surely all the loose undercoat will be out by then and it's just pulling out the good hairs?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The thing is, you can brush infinitely with the FURminator and fur will still come out. With the metal undercoat rake, after 15 mins there's probably only 5 or 6 strands left each brush. The CK is acting exactly like the FURminator, where you can brush for 5 hours straight and the same amount of hair will come out each time. Surely all the loose undercoat will be out by then and it's just pulling out the good hairs?
Of course it will start to pull fur if you keep using it; it's not meant to be used excessively, only to get the undercoat out. Once you get the undercoat out, you are supposed to quit. I also do see a reduction in what comes out after the undercoat has been removed.

It sounds like it's just not working out for your Goldie's coat type. It shouldn't be pulling while there's still loose undercoat.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The MCK is pretty much a furminator doppelgänger i am told, a carding tool in a convenient package. So yes it will pull hair out forever, first the dead stuff and when that is gone, onto the healthy hair.

I'd be wary of using either brush on a long-haired breed, honesty, Toby sheds like mad but I wouldn't go near him with one, even the kind supposedly for long hair. Try a pin brush for the grunt work (like a hairbrush with metal bristles) and a slicker brush for the fine-tuning.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.. The thing is, I can brush her for 2 hours using FURminator or CK and the consistency of the fur that comes out will always be the same from the first minute to the 120th minute. And after that, I can still use the undercoat rake and there will still be dead undercoat that comes out.

Will the metal undercoat rake cause damage to her skin? I've tried using it on myself and it doesn't feel pleasant. I'm just wondering if it irritates her. She's too tolerant about these kind of stuff so I'm not sure if it will actually cause damage to her skin. Not sure if I should continue using this or switch to something else.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Some dogs mind it, some dogs don't. Check for redness on the skin, if not she's probably fine with it. I would look on youtube as well to get a good idea of the technique used to get all that hair off goldens… it helps to do things like alternate with/against the grain to loosen dead hairs.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Hmm.. The thing is, I can brush her for 2 hours using FURminator or CK and the consistency of the fur that comes out will always be the same from the first minute to the 120th minute. And after that, I can still use the undercoat rake and there will still be dead undercoat that comes out.

Will the metal undercoat rake cause damage to her skin? I've tried using it on myself and it doesn't feel pleasant. I'm just wondering if it irritates her. She's too tolerant about these kind of stuff so I'm not sure if it will actually cause damage to her skin. Not sure if I should continue using this or switch to something else.
I usually look for the dog to tense up. A lot of dogs will be very tolerant to discomfort, but you'll still see them tense up when it starts to get a bit uncomfy. You can also look for redness on her skin.

Since her fur is longer, it might just be that the furminator/CK isn't going to be the best tool for her. Like I said, I can't use it on my border collie. It just pulls and it's very obvious he's not a fan of it. Supposedly there is a version for long haired dogs...Have you looked into that?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the long version for FURminator means the comb is about 1mm longer or something like that. Works exactly like the short version.

Yeah she tolerates the metal brush. But she'd stand very still for the CK. I can tell that she prefers the CK. If only it doesn't keep stripping her coat! I just feel so annoyed. I want her to be comfortable, but I also want something that actually does what I want it to do.

Are there any metal undercoat rakes out there that are more comfortable? Or is there a way to blunt the CK? I'm pretty sure it'll be really good when the blades are blunt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts