Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already went to the vet as of this morning and it's now being treated but I need to vent and since it's a medical thing here it is in the medical/health forum.

Our dogs have mange!! We caught it at small itchy spots so it should heal up fast but we have NO IDEA where it came from AND we have to notify everywhere the dogs have been and argh! I am so frustrated! I mind their health so carefully!!

The new pitbulls they've been playing with are fine, the only other dogs they've come in contact with was some puppies for socializing help. What a pain!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. We got a whole little packet on the things to expect for us and the dogs (and cats). It's just so frustrating.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Yeah. We got a whole little packet on the things to expect for us and the dogs (and cats). It's just so frustrating.
We all have mites on our skin at all times its when we are not in tip top health that it get you or your dog. I would work on building their immune systems while you are treating for mites. You don't have to worry about spreading it to a healthy dog their immune systems are strong they wont get it. this is a good product.
Immune Support | Platinum Performance

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Do they have demodex or sarcoptic? Because there's a huge difference.

Demodex is an immune issue. The mites are on the dog all the time, but the body keeps their population level in check so they don't cause itchiness and skin irritation. These mites are NOT contagious to people or other dogs. You don't need to notify anybody because it won't affect other dogs at all. Or people.

Sarcoptic is the one that's a bigger concern because it's very contagious. To dogs and people.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to assume since we were told that we ourselves and the cats could get it, that it's the contagious one. We have to limit our contact with the dogs as much as possible and wear what protective stuff we have when we do interact with them. The vet was very thorough.

I'm just annoyed by all of it.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Oh man, thats a bummer :\ At least it's the easier one to treat. It's hard not to want to cuddle them and have them near us. I know my dog is like, always touching me if he can.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. And Shadow's happiest if she's being your personal furry backrest too. It's gonna be tough. All I can figure is maybe we picked it up while going on a hike somewhere. Urgh. Thankfully noticed before it was more than a couple itchy patches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts