Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my dog but I have to vacuum and sweep every day. The throw rug is dark blue and by the end of the day it's tan and dog-colored. I brush her but jeeze... it doesn't seem to help much. She's only sixty pounds but she's taken over the house. When I do brush her it's like a whole dogs worth of fur comes off. Seems a bit ridiculous but nothing helps. Deshedding blades, dematters, smoothers... I've tried every tool I can think of. Diet supplements, special shampoos. Short of shaving her like a poodle I don't know what to do.

Just a bit on her: She's four, acts like she's four months, a German Shepherd/ Yellow lab mixed with something smaller. She's got the short legs like a shep and the big stocky body of a lab and her head is in-between and she looks sort of funny but hey, it's Mandy. Crazy smart like the shepherd but has the happy-go-lucky lab attitude. Only thing I'd change about my puppy is her fur is reaching critical mass. Love the dog... hate the fur problem. She's not my first dog but she's the only one that shed like this. Two dogs never gave me as much an issue as her. Help?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Have you tried getting those extra strong blow driers to blow her hair out? They also have deshedding shampoos you can use in combination w the deshedding tools and blowers.

But it could be what's going into her, not what you're brushing her w/. What does she eat?

I love my dog but I have to vacuum and sweep every day. The throw rug is dark blue and by the end of the day it's tan and dog-colored. I brush her but jeeze... it doesn't seem to help much. She's only sixty pounds but she's taken over the house. When I do brush her it's like a whole dogs worth of fur comes off. Seems a bit ridiculous but nothing helps. Deshedding blades, dematters, smoothers... I've tried every tool I can think of. Diet supplements, special shampoos. Short of shaving her like a poodle I don't know what to do.

Just a bit on her: She's four, acts like she's four months, a German Shepherd/ Yellow lab mixed with something smaller. She's got the short legs like a shep and the big stocky body of a lab and her head is in-between and she looks sort of funny but hey, it's Mandy. Crazy smart like the shepherd but has the happy-go-lucky lab attitude. Only thing I'd change about my puppy is her fur is reaching critical mass. Love the dog... hate the fur problem. She's not my first dog but she's the only one that shed like this. Two dogs never gave me as much an issue as her. Help?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
^Ditto!:)
Also have you ever tried a furminator?
You might even want to take her in to a groomer to see what they can do to help!:)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If I still had Jersey I'd be trying the furminator, I've heard good things about it if the dog doesn't have a long coat.

Jersey's shedding was like you describe. She was short haired but had a double coat. I could brush her, use an undercoat rake on her, brush her some more, comb her, use a shedding rake on her, bathe her with a shedding shampoo, then brush her and comb her some more. After all of that once she was dried I'd pet her and get a handful of hair. How she wasn't bald I never did figure out. My long haired terrier who has a double coat didn't shed as much as she did.

I ended up naming all the fur rolling on the floor Hairy and claimed it was my spare dog.

Dang I still miss her :(:

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
In the past we gave our dog a liquid supplement called Linatone that really helped with stopping the shedding. At the time we had St. Bernards...wow. I would call your vet and see what he/she says. Our houlas now take Wellactin which builds the immune system...but you should see how pretty and sleek their coats are!!!! Sooo shiny and healthy looking, even thou their breath is a little fishy. The furinator works well, but be VERY gentle when using it. I would look at the dog food you are feeding, it might not be the right kind....too much protein, not enough, too many grains, not enough veggies, etc. Keep us posted.!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I feel your pain! Bree's been shedding something awful since it turned warm and I've seriously considered getting a duvet comforter and filling it with her fur for an extra layer this winter! Thank goodness my carpets/floors are the same color as her fur - I can deny the fur all I want until I pull out the vacuum-cleaner!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I too feel your pain! My dryer lint trap no longer contains lint but it has it's fill of Fearghas fur!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
785 Posts
Double coated dogs, and shedding. Ah well, twice a year, you are going to have this issue at plague proportions, the rest of the year, less so.

I have a GSD that is shedding his winter coat right now.
I brush weekly with brushes, then use ferminator
And i hoover the dog twice a week, cuts out the middle man.

for management:
change the rug to a mottled pattern one, so you cant 'see' the mess.
keep dog mainly outside during shedding
hang in there, till its stopped, roughly 2-3 weeks if your grooming like a demon during this time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a dog groomer and you definitely have a dog whose shedding is challenging. I have read and heard from other groomers that while most dogs go through 2 shedding cycles per year, GSDs just shed always. One shedding cycle per year that lasts 365 days. :)

But, what you need is FURminator shampoo and conditioner. Read the labels, you have to let the treatments sit for 10 minutes at a time. The shampoo is supposed to get out shedded hair, and the conditioner help the almost shedded hair shed.

Then someone mentioned a high velocity dryer. They are pricey, but it will definitely work. I recommend drying outside on a clean surface. The dog might be afraid of the loud sound.

Then, once your dog is bone dry, a metal pin brush without rubber tips should get most of the hair and a nice rake should get more. The FURminator will work in some areas, like the shorter hair on the legs, but I don't think it always does the job on long coats, even though they make it for them now.

All three of these steps in order can really do great work. Clean loosened hair dries, sheds, and brushes better.

And I'd do that monthly or at least every two months. If it sounds like a pain, that's why there are groomers. If you go in to a groomer, ask for a shed bath.

·
Registered
785 Posts
WSCW: as a groomer, can i ask?
would you do a GSD, that will make a lot of noise during grooming?
and currently, my dog loves a groom from me, but wont allow any other members of family to do it.
Ive never used a groomer, as whilst i dont believe my dog will bite. It will be unpleasant for groomer. And this large a dog, can tip over those baths they put them in if they are free standing, as has happened in past. Luckily, it wasnt damaged, so no huge replacement bill for me.

How long would it take to do a GSD. That is in pretty good nick grooming wise, but shedding?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 GSD,s with opposite grooming difficulties - my white short haired lady sheds like a mohair sheep constantly - whilst my long haired boy has a coat like cotton wool which matts and forms dreads overnight! I love them both dearly but seriously contemplating Immac!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ive only ever owned long haired, and im amazed they shed differently!
Immac, now that sounds like a great idea. Obviously, we'd need the 'sensitive skin' type though.

lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure where you took your dog, but I would never groom a larger shepherd in the bath. I groom at a retail type pet store and we would do it on the floor. And yes, we have a dog (a GSD in fact) who comes in on a monthly basis and talks the whole time. But that just means we all know him by name. :)

We always ask for 3 hours for baths because, as I mentioned in my other post, hair sheds better when it is clean and bone dry. Drying can take a long time, especially if your dog isn't comfortable with the high settings of the dryer. And the more nervous our dog is, the more breaks he'll need. Some large, shedding dogs will take 4 hours.

You said you do not believe your dog will bite. If that's so, the only other concern would be how wild he acts. There have been dogs we've turned away for bad behavior, but it's not common. It only happens if the dog or groomer is in danger of injury. However, part of being a groomer is getting to know the dogs. Different dogs must be handled different ways. And finally, if they are still a bit much for one person to handle, we have backup plans... leash like tethers that don't allow the dog to turn around, though they can still sit or stand, muzzles or cones if necessary, and assistance of another groomer. Sometimes all a dog needs is someone to talk to him while he's being brushed.

I would in general assume that most dogs are fine for professional grooming. And the more often they get it done as well as the younger they start, the better they usually behave.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Need the proper brush and brush "everyday" Better to have the hair in the brush and not the floor. After awhile you will have it under control. I didn't read anywhere how often you brush. If you do brush everyday maybe a different brush will help...if not get a bigger vacuum :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I still had Jersey I'd be trying the furminator, I've heard good things about it if the dog doesn't have a long coat.

Jersey's shedding was like you describe. She was short haired but had a double coat. I could brush her, use an undercoat rake on her, brush her some more, comb her, use a shedding rake on her, bathe her with a shedding shampoo, then brush her and comb her some more. After all of that once she was dried I'd pet her and get a handful of hair. How she wasn't bald I never did figure out. My long haired terrier who has a double coat didn't shed as much as she did.

I ended up naming all the fur rolling on the floor Hairy and claimed it was my spare dog.

Dang I still miss her :(:
I have a Bernese/Aussie mix (we think... puppy mill rescue) but she has the double coat of the Bernese. We can sweep and vacuum and within 3 hours, we have what we term "rats", "poodles", or just "furballs"- depending on the size, "running" around the house again! There are folks that will actually knit with the wooly fur. There's absolutely nothing to do about it. The Furminator and Furminator brand Shampoo and Conditioner do help a lot. Bathing her gets LOTS of the loose fur off and we get a wee bit of respite. If we are bathing her inside in the tub, have to have 2 drain sieves in place and empty every couple minutes, and we still have to clean out the drain and trap afterwards. With some dogs, you are just always going to have severe shedding at least twice a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts