Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey community, i am a new and first time owner of a malinois pup. he’s almost 6 months old and i am struggling with the level of activity i should be allowing him. how much is just right!? i have read and heard from plenty of sources that pups should not sustain exercise until about a year to 18 months. other resources say that they will let you know when they have had enough. for the last month, i have been taking my guy mojo for 2-4 mile jogs and mountain bike runs of about the same distance. his pace is a trot/gallup with occasional sprints if he is with another pup buddy. he seems to be totally comfortable and capable and the routine keeps his energy, training, and indoor behavior in check. but i am concerned i am over doing it as far as his joint development goes. does anyone have experience with this? what is the right amount until he is fully developed?

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Yes, you are overdoing it I'm afraid. Don't rely on him to self regulate, it is later in life that he could develop arthritis - his growth plates have not closed yet so you could be damaging them with that amount of exercise.

5 minutes walking per month of age is recommended.

To tire him, rather than physical exercise (which at any age risks him turning into a superfit athlete that you will never physically tire) work on training and using his brain - that will tire him out just as much or even better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are overdoing it I'm afraid. Don't rely on him to self regulate, it is later in life that he could develop arthritis - his growth plates have not closed yet so you could be damaging them with that amount of exercise.

5 minutes walking per month of age is recommended.

To tire him, rather than physical exercise (which at any age risks him turning into a superfit athlete that you will never physically tire) work on training and using his brain - that will tire him out just as much or even better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your input. much appreciated. i will be dialing back is routines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thank you for your input. much appreciated. i will be dialing back is routines.
You’re on the right track. I was stupid when my gsd/malinois mix was a pup, we played fetch so long that she had wobbly legs on the way home. She recovered but it was a bad mistake on my part to think that she had an internal monitor of when to stop. The previous poster had good information, just wanted to add my $.02.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You’re on the right track. I was stupid when my gsd/malinois mix was a pup, we played fetch so long that she had wobbly legs on the way home. She recovered but it was a bad mistake on my part to think that she had an internal monitor of when to stop. The previous poster had good information, just wanted to add my $.02.
thank you for that two cents. much appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts