Dog Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
I can't get this dog interested in playing ball, frisbee, going over a low hurdle
This dog is still only about 8 months old isn't she? It isn't recommended to do this type of exercise until she is skeletally mature.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
So my Mal mix, and I are working it out, and doing pretty good. However, I can't get this dog interested in playing ball, frisbee, going over a low hurdle (she tried to go under it) nothing. And she's an amazingly athletic dog. And
I know some dogs just don't like to fetch, but thought it was in the Malinois handbook that they have to be wildly excited about it. She doesn't even have a favorite toy. She does, however take great joy in stalking and chasing tiny little critters. And she also enjoys stealing money out of my purse. Any thoughts or suggestions, or is she just gonna be a nose work kind of dog? I wanted her to learn all kinds of tricks, but she needs some inspiration.
First, I want to say that you don't actually know how much malinois is in this dog, so I would suggest that you forget trying to compare her to other dogs according to a malinois handbook or what you read about the dog breed online. Just take this dog for what she is....a sweet mixed breed dog who might have malinois in the mix or not....and work with the dog, not what you think the breed might be or "should" do.

Second, not all dogs of any breed are going to be wild about the same activities.
But you can train a dog to fetch, and it's a good thing to train because it can be a fun activity for the dog as well as a good way for her to get exercise when you may not be up for a long walk or run with her.

First, use treats she really likes. Get another person to help. Have the other person only a few feet away (start indoors). Have the dog with you. roll the ball to the other person, have that person give the ball to the dog, and then you call the dog to come to you. If the dog still has the ball when she gets to you, praise and treat. Repeat many times. Once the dog knows that bringing back the ball gets treats, take it outside and continue without the other person. Eventually the lightbulb may go off and the dog may start to love the game and then of course the game is the reward and you can stop the treats. If you are still having to use treats to get her to bring it back a few months later, then it is probably never going to be her thing. You can do similar things to introduce her to other games and toys.

If she likes to chase or stalk, try tug. She may like that. And, keep your purse out of her reach! :cool:

And if all tries fail, it's possible you just don't have a toy-loving dog. But I doubt that; I think it's just a matter of introducing her to the fun in a way she will understand since it doesn't come naturally to her.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My dog doesn't care about balls or toys unless they're stuffed fuzzy tots, better if they squeak or any kind of squeaky toy. He learned fetch from watching other dogs play it in the dog park and from me praising and giving him bacon whenever he brought it back.

I also have to get him ramped up by talking in a high pitched voice and playing tug and saying things like I'm going to win and bouncing the squeaky really high and making him chase me and sometimes changing the direction I throw it at the last second so he really thinks it's prey that's fighting back and escaping. I even say it's getting away and basically act like an idiot. But he goes crazy chasing and bringing it back and squeaking the toys.
He likes those and the toys that light up when you throw them and the soft fuzzy stuffed toys especially if they also squeak.
You might just have to find the toys they like best and really play with them to encourage the play drive or prey drive.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts