Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
OMG I can't stand the cute! I'm desperately waiting until I have a yard/the stability/the money to get my own Mali, so I especially love the Mali pups!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Moonstream Strangely enough the yard does not do much for her! I mean we go out a little bit to play fetch and work on some training but mostly what keeps me sane is 3ish hours of walking, playing on the kids playground equipment at the park, and another hour or two of daily training.

It is a good thing I do not have a full time job - because she is a full time job! and I'm the dummy that volunteered to temporarily take on a second one! so we have Brighton our girl and "NotsoBright" my friends male puppy.

I do wish people in my area would stop calling her a lovely German Shepherd :/ but I know they can be hard to tell apart for people who aren't dog people.

- Callahan

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
To say you have your hands full is an understatement! And so much cute!

Now are you giving them their alone time? I've heard that littermate syndrome can happen with dogs that are not technically littermates, but in the same age range.

They certainly do seem like a full time job!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Aspen726 We are currently going through puppy beginners at our local training club. Bright graduates from that in two weeks and will move on to beginners obedience. I think she has already mastered the skills but we are enjoying classes. We also start puppy introduction to agility next week. A friend of mine has been letting me borrow her pool a couple times a week to get her use to water because I'd also like to do dock diving with her! I also want to start a scent class but she has to be a little older before we can do so. I have been working on her tug and her ball drive - she is toy crazed!

@jclark343 I am so paranoid about littermate syndrome! They get lots of separate one on one time. They get fed separately, are crated in separate rooms, and get individual training sessions. The boy is not old enough to really take out and about yet so Bright gets lots of outings by herself. Bright also gets separate walks. Once the boy is a little older (if he is still here) They will get separate outings. I will have to walk them at the same time though because of the weather. There is only a small window in the wee hours of the morning in which it is not too hot to walk! My daughter does all of the things with Prune the corgi because Prune is her dog. Though I do supervise to make sure everything is going well.

~Callahan

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
Awesome! I have a friend who has 3 Mals... she does dock diving, ring sport and flyball with them! They are super awesome dogs (when they have their energy harnessed properly! haha)

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Sounds like you have big plans for your puppy! I can't wait to watch the progress.

It's so refreshing to see someone who knows what they are doing with these types of puppies. You guys are going to do great things!

·
Registered
669 Posts
The want of a yard is less because I think it will be a good outlet on its own for Mal energy and more because it'd mean I'm up to 3 dogs, and I don't want to be yard-less with that many dogs. Plus it gives me a place where I can train them that isn't my living room, and where I can be a bit more physical/fun in training with toys. Don't worry, I have no illusions that letting a Mal out in the back yard will tire them out, lol.

Seriously enjoying watching this little guy grow up. Waiting excitedly for stories about having 2 Mal pups!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts