Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

:dog-cry:

Two weeks ago my Chandra, a 7-years-old German Shepherd, went through a surgery to remove a black oval lump between the two digits of her left paw. The surgery went well and we sent the champ of the nodule for further examination. Today we received the result of her histological test... NO GOOD NEWS... :-(

The diagnosis is dermal melanoma, moderately differentiated, and infiltrating... The prognosis is highly restricted... She, however, despite her test result, seems to be in excellent shape and she has never had serious problems in her entire health history.

My boyfriend brought her to live with us in May after his divorce and the black lump had been there for almost one-year-and-half (Chandra used to live with his ex-wife; it is a whole long story). I have no idea why for heaven's sake they did not bring her to the vet before the lump grew into the size of half ping-pong ball...

I find it difficult to digest, the professor claims that the surgery will perhaps involve amputation of her two digits (we schedule the X-Ray on next Monday to check her lungs and lymph nodes).

I would be very grateful if there were someone here who would kindly share his/her experience with dermal melanoma...

Thank you,

Jacqueline

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I'm really sorry, that's horrible news. Amputation is going to be very important unfortunately... hopefully it hasn't spread yet. I'm surprised it was there that long without causing much problem!

I see you're in Italy so I'm not sure if this product is available by you (or perhaps you have better options in Europe... ), but ask the vet about the canine melanoma vaccine. It tends to be given to dogs with oral melanomas post-resection (because they are hard to fully remove) but that seems to be your dogs problem potentially as well. I also vaguely remember a patient of ours about 4 or so years ago being given the vaccine for a digit melanoma like your dog had as well but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Something to look into anyway. Good Luck... sorry it's such poor news.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, Holly...

Chandra is doing great and her whole paw and digits seem to have healed completely. We, nevertheless, schedule a further exam to confirm whether or not the melanoma has spread into other organs. I shall let you know about the result of the exam and this Monday I shall check about the vaccine you mentioned...

I am also planning to change her kibbles into Orijen, but some of my friends recommend Taste of The Wild and ProNature... :-D LOL! She is now on Royal Canin Light since she had the tendency to put on some weight, but doesn't seem to respond satisfactorily... She is always, always, hungry and behaves like chow hound. Her coat is excellent, but she starts losing hair --- I collect pounds of fur enough to substitute my pillow...

Another suggestion I received was to give her 10-20 drops of Echinaceae every morning and alter her lunch with tofu and salmon oil, instead of sticking only on kibbles... What would you suggest, Holly...?

Again I thank you for your reply and I hope to hear from you again!

Kisses from Italy,
BEE and CHANDRA

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Glad to hear she's healing well!

German Shepherds tend to shed a lot anyway, so I'm not sure changing her food is going to help you out. If her coat is excellent, I'm not sure I'd change much of anything to be honest but I don't think switching to any of those foods would hurt. I wouldn't add the Tofu or Echinacea. I don't think it's necessary and I'm not sure how many calories the Tofu has. You could try adding some baby carrots or green beans to help fill her up a bit. They're low in calories. The Fish Oil is probably fine to add but if her coat looks excellent, then I'm not sure it's necessary.

Good Luck with the additional testing!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm so sorry, I wish the news had been better. Fingers crossed the results on Monday will be good. Best wishes to you all x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts