Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently got a male Boykin Spaniel, he's about 3 months now. I don't really know what to do about the whole house training situation and honestly I'm a little confused about why he's been acting this way. I'm currently in college and live in an apartment by myself. My boyfriend is over all the time and Shiner, my Boykin is SO bad when he's over! My boyfriend will bring him out to pee and then he pees not too long after he's been inside and he will also stand at his puppy gate and whine constantly even though I know he doesn't have to potty! I can't tell if he's marking because my boyfriend is over (he doesn't lift his leg yet) or if he just has to pee? When it's just me he's really good mostly. He basically just plays with his toys and sleeps. He only whines if he really needs to go out and only has to go out every hour and a half to two hours. I'm just confused as to why he's so bad when my boyfriend is over. I just get so frustrated because when he's over he pees all over the place and I know he pretty much knows he's supposed to go outside.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I really don't think he's marking, he's way to young for that. It's a housetraining issue.

My best guess, and I could be wrong, about what is happening is that he's excited about someone new being in the house and he doesn't realize that he has to go, or that he's not finished going. It's sort of like a 2 or 3 yr old child (that's around the age of your puppy in human years) knowing that they are supposed to go to the bathroom to potty, but being so excited about the other kids coming over to play that they don't realize they have to go until it's to late.

When you take him out to potty make sure to give him a treat as soon as his little butt starts to lift from finishing going. Then, since you bring him in and he has an accident soon after you can either wait outside with him and extra 5 to 10 minutes to make sure he's finished, or bring him in wait 10 minutes and bring him out again. Experiment and figure out which works best for you.

The whining is because he wants to be with you and your boyfriend, he doesn't want to be by himself. If you know that he doesn't have to potty then totally ignore him when he whines, don't talk to him, don't look at him, pretend he doesn't exist. Wait for 5 seconds of quiet before going to him, if he starts fussing when you go toward him freeze and wait for 5 seconds of quiet before going toward him (sort of like red light green light), keep doing that till you can get to him and either let him out to be with you, or play with him for a bit. It's important to completely ignore the fussing, do NOT give in to it (unless you know he needs to go out to potty!), but heavily reward the quiet by giving him attention, little treats, etc. That way he learns that being calm and quiet get him what he wants.

Reactions: Grabby
1 - 2 of 2 Posts