Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on a pup that's marking his territory inside?

- He's just over 8 months old
- Intact. Going to get neutered soon but has an overbite that the vet is waiting out till his adult teeth are all the way in before seeing if he needs any dental work at the same time.
- Pomeranian/Shih Tzu
- He doesn't pee in the house otherwise, just a squirt on furniture legs, the kitchen island, or corners.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would guess with him being 8 months and not neutered hes just marking everything. Alot of males do this when they aren't neutered or get neutered really late in their life time.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Personally I treat marking same as housetraining. ;)
Either with you and supervised closely (eyes on him) or crated/in dog proofed space to prevent marking in the first place. Outside for potty breaks frequently. Reward marking in appropriate locations outside. Enzyme based cleaners for accidents. :)

I've had to buckle down again with my puppy as he wants to mark everything right now... typical teenage boy dog...
In addition to the above I make sure he marks multiple times outside (I wait for at least 4-5 markings with him) before allowing him back in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I treat marking same as housetraining. ;)
Either with you and supervised closely (eyes on him) or crated/in dog proofed space to prevent marking in the first place. Outside for potty breaks frequently. Reward marking in appropriate locations outside. Enzyme based cleaners for accidents. :)

I've had to buckle down again with my puppy as he wants to mark everything right now... typical teenage boy dog...
In addition to the above I make sure he marks multiple times outside (I wait for at least 4-5 markings with him) before allowing him back in.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I've been doing so far. We spend 10-15mins outside with him marking pretty much everything is sight every potty break. Good times! lol. Hopefully his teeth finish doing their thing soon so we can get the big snip done. Don't think it'll be a cure all but hoping it makes things more manageable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts