Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our male pup does not let us pet any of the other animals or even talk to them without him having to come and get the attention ....he will be in a dead sleep and his sister will be up getting cuddles and he wakes right up and comes and forces and I mean FORCES us to pet him . He’s always attacked and pushing me into the corner of the couch when he’s up it’s not like he doesn’t get his own attention if anything go he gets way more because of his personality . I’ve also noticed a bit of behaviour issues with him . If I push him away just a bit so I can re adjust myself and get comfortable because he is constantly pushing on me ( he’s 5 pounds but feels like a 50 pound bulldog when he does this- that’s how much force he’s using to make me stay in my spot ) but when I try to move him , because he is so small.... he just jumps over my arm and right back , even if I push again and say no leave me alone give me some space , he doesn’t care . In bed he’s the same way I litterally can push him over all I want but he pushes me and takes up most
Of the bed .... I’m tired of the pushing - on walks he’s pulling ... he’s clearly fighting for alpha spot but he’s not going to win but how do I stop his little attitude 😂😂😂

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
What your dog is doing is "resource guarding." Here's a very helpful thread which explains his behavior and gives some tips for dealing with it:

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Can I just add, he isn't fighting for alpha. The dominance, pack leadership theory has been thoroughly disproven and widely discredited, even by the person who developed it. It was based on flawed conclusions drawn from poorly observed evidence. The wolf pack was not a real pack, it was a group of individuals thrown together and the situation (captivity rather than wild) skewed the data as their behaviour was not natural. And dogs are not wolves anyway, any more than we are chimpanzees - in both cases there was a shared ancestor but the species evolved in different directions. That's why we have humans AND apes, wolves AND dogs.

This article explains it quite well. Debunking the "Alpha Dog" Theory - Whole Dog Journal

Nobody disagrees with boundaries and good manners, but the these can be established through training, building a mutually respectful relationship and without forcing submission from your dog. We certainly do not advocate aversive tools and behaviours.

If you think about leadership in your own life, the leaders (teachers , co-workers) that you respect earn that respect and inspire followership, they don't command or force it through wielding power 'just because they can'. Good leaders are supportive, are there for their dogs to look to when they are unsure, because they have taken time to build a deep bond based on trust, not on confrontation or intimidation.

For this particular problem, I'd suggest you don't allow him on the sofa or the bed. Give him a super-comfortable bed of his own, and make it the best place ever for him to be. Great things happen when he is in his own bed. So when you walk past him in his bed, you give him a tiny piece of roast chicken. He gets petted in his bed. If he jumps up on your sofa and pushes you, you get up and step out if the room, removing the object of his attention - you.

You may find this video helpful.

You also mentioned pulling on walks.

There is a lot of information in this thread -

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just want to second the advice above.
all of these issues are training issues, not something wrong with the dog. You can train all of these behaviors out of the dog and replace them with behaviors that you find easy to live with and which allow you to enjoy your dog more. It really isn't hard, so don't be intimidated by the thought of doing this training. In the process you will improve your dog's life as well as your own, because you will establish a relationship in which he is no longer being told No much of the time. And you will create a better bond with your dog as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well no shit their training issues that’s why I’m here so I can get some training suggestions . This site seriously sucks so bad for advice it’s just a bunch of trips

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Sorry we disappoint ... 😡 have you actually read any of the material you have been recommended?

And, may I point you to Rule 1 please.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well no shit their training issues that’s why I’m here so I can get some training suggestions . This site seriously sucks so bad for advice it’s just a bunch of trips
I don't understand why you feel this way. If you read and watched the links that were provided to you you see that they are training suggestions...and you would have full advice on how to start training with your dog. What more did you want?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts