Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been wanting to add to my family for some time. Right now I have a 1 female dog and 2 cats.

Since I have a female dog now, should I get another female or a male? There is a golden retriever puppy that I am interested in but it's a male and I'm not sure...

My dog is a Border Collie/ Corgi/ Something mix, lol! She is very sweet, loves to play/ socialize with other dogs. She also competes in Agility and is a therapy dog. I have attached a picture for your enjoyment :)

My hope for the new addition would be for her/him to also do agility and if the temperament is right be a therapy dog as well.

Thank you!

willow.jpg

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Both can work just fine.
depends on the dog that's already there...
Some dogs show same sex aggression and with female dogs, this can be pretty extreme...so when your dog shows same sex aggression, or you suspect it, then I'd take a male.
if you don't see your dog having a preference, take the one you prefer to own.
I think it depends more on the individual dog than if it's male or female though.
Just find a dog that clicks with you, your family and your dog. :)

if your female is intact and you decide to get a male dog, please think of getting the male dog fixed or manage them responsibly when your female is in heat.

Reactions: Regina83

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

My dog is spayed so no chance of puppies and when I get another dog it will also be fixed.

I do notice when we have dog play that she plays very well with both male and females. She has never been aggressive towards another dog thankfully.

·
Banned
66 Posts
I would go with the sex for your chosen breed that exhibits the least territoriality. With Dachshunds (my favorite) the female is more domineering. Referred to in the industry as "bitch dominant". I like saying that and don't get to work it into many conversations:)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Great multi breed, she is so cute. I prefer one of each because with two girls there can be jealousy. There is a certain amount with a boy girl combo but it never seems and volatile as with two girls.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd say go for the boy! One of each gender seems to work out better than two dogs of the same sex. Although I do have two males currently, but neither of them have dominance issues. It also just depends on the individual dog and their personality.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'll also suggest going for a male. Your girl may be fine with female girls but there's no guarantee that the new female will. If you find a female dog that you fall in love with then go ahead and see if they get along. If you don't have a preference then go for a male.

Reactions: Regina83

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
In my case the boys got along with the girls, and girls with the boys. The girls always seemed to have a squabble going on for some reason, and I'm talking when I had 30 or more Huskies that I raced and showed.
But it really depends on the dog itself.
I'd really go for a male myself in your circumstance, but it comes down to your choice.

let us know, and good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts