Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am brand new on the forums, but I might as well dive right in. I have a 3 year old Toy Rat Terrier who has a bit of a problem keeping the junk in the trunk.

When I first got Rockie about a month ago he was only 4 pounds and he had a badly infected sheath which cost a pretty penny at the vet to get taken care of. The vet recommended that I get him fixed asap as this would solve the problem. Well two weeks after being fixed he still has it hanging out all the time and I have to wash it (gross) every day because he gets dirt caught on it. Today I noticed that it looks like he is heading towards getting an infection in there again (swollen sheath and kinda a nasty looking discharge forming) and I really can't afford another guzzillion dollar vet bill right now. I even called the vet and they said that he might still have some raging horomones in him which could be causing him to still not be able to fully retract it, but after two weeks? The whole phone conversation made me pretty much loose all respect for the vet I was taking him to.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, I'm just super frustrated and really don't want to deal with a sick dog again, he is just starting to get better!

On a funny note my boyfriend and his roommate have nicknamed him the Freshman as in a college freshman that can't "put it away."

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
well I hate to say it but this is an issue that needs to be dealt with...infections in the penis are not healthy at any stage of the infection. If you have to, call another vet and take him in for an exam and also get the old notes from the original vet so the next one can give you their opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree that an infection should difenately be taken to a vet, but if you have any doubts about your current vet, find another one. Some may be farther, but if you feel confident in his decisions, it might be worth the journey. Call a few vets first and some might even give you an over the phone counsel about your dog's problem.

I really hope he gets better!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
it takes up to three months for the hormones to leave the dogs system...so im not surprised hes still "excited"...

I see a costly surgery in this poor guys future. :(

good luck

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Criosphynx - don't say that! -knocks on wood quick-

Whatever was starting to brew seems to have stopped and cleared up on its own. Everything looks normal except for it still sticking out.

I was told that it would only take a week or two for everything to clear up, but I am begining to see that that might not be true, as he still seems to get excited from time to time for no apparent reason. He has however shown no intrest in his "girlfriend" as far as constantly trying to hump this poor other dog, now he just wants her to leave him alone.

I am going home tomorrow (yay for long drive with the dog) to my parent's vet and see what they say. Hopefully there will be a simple answer, but that usually isn't my luck.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
I saw a silly product advertised on craig's list that may help your situation. It is a band you can wrap around your dog that will keep his "junk" hidden, it is called a wrappie or a snuggie or something. I say silly because, seriously, it is a dog, they have junk and don't wear clothes, get over it! anyway, it may be worth your trouble to ask your vet if keeping your dog's parts covered while he is healing would help to prevent infection in the future.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I saw a silly product advertised on craig's list that may help your situation. It is a band you can wrap around your dog that will keep his "junk" hidden, it is called a wrappie or a snuggie or something. I say silly because, seriously, it is a dog, they have junk and don't wear clothes, get over it! anyway, it may be worth your trouble to ask your vet if keeping your dog's parts covered while he is healing would help to prevent infection in the future.

are you talking about a belly band?

That might just work...its a male dog diaper...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
are you talking about a belly band?

That might just work...its a male dog diaper...
yeah, i'm not sure what it is called but that is probably the same thing. the ad i saw really focused on how unsightly a male dog can be...i thought it was silly.:eyeroll: i suppose it could help with marking in the house though. and i think it might help for this case too.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts