Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I want to foster rescues in my house some day, I'm curious how you all deal with correcting this behavior. I grew up with parents who never allowed male dogs because they marked and they were convinced they couldn't be trained not to. So for the most part, I've only had female dogs. My one male dog, I got as a puppy and also neutered him at 6 months old. As a result of early potty training and neutering, he has yet to deliberately lift his leg on something inside or out.

If you got a foster dog who was not neutered, and never house trained (lived outside), how would you train him not to mark? I'm guessing a mix of proper potty training, crating when not supervised, and actively telling the dog no and distracting him when he goes to lift a leg on something inside. I'd like to know other peoples experiences!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If you got a foster dog who was not neutered, and never house trained (lived outside), how would you train him not to mark? I'm guessing a mix of proper potty training, crating when not supervised, and actively telling the dog no and distracting him when he goes to lift a leg on something inside. I'd like to know other peoples experiences!
The above as well as praising (making a big deal) when he goes potty outside. I have fostered males and they were actually pretty good. I did monitor them, took them outside on a regular schedule and kennel or play pen them when I could not watch.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I have a two yr old intact male who's never marked in the house. And I know of at least two neutered males who did mark in the house. So neutering's not the be all end all of marking. But thats a different arguement so I'll leave it there.

We did have some issues with Apollo marking in stores. Basically yes, you treat it like a house-training problem. With Apollo I'd bump his hip with mine, hard enough to knock him off balance, and make him want to put his foot down, and get his attention, at the same time as a "No!" and an immeadiate trip outside. You have to just as OCD about it as you are with standard house-training, if that means leashing the dog to you then so be it.

I'd also suggest investing in a good quality enzyme cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
When I dogsat my friends dog while she went out of town he marked almost as soon as she left. We spent the weekend with frequent potty breaks, a crash course in house training, him being tethered to me, hiking, and confining him to the room we were in when not tethered. It worked pretty well. After the first day he seemed to get it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just like QuestsMom said, tethering is a great way to prevent marking behaviors! Plus a dog that is tethered to you is a dog that is always by your side when you see training opportunities, which will be great for your foster dogs!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the lovely input everybody :)

My suspicions have basically been confirmed...Treat it as a potty training issue.

I kind of figured as much about the neutering...I know female dogs will mark as well. I have read that marking behavior isn't really marking territory or staking a claim on something like the way people tend to think of it, it's more like putting up a flyer on a bulletin board. It's just a way for them to exchange information about each other. Which lines up with it just being a potty issue. They'd have to be taught where they can put up their flyers and where they can't.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It may be a house training issue, but it may be marking. When you get a new foster dog you need to keep him close to you so you catch him in the act. When he lifts his leg and you react with "Aaaahhh!" the dog will take it as a negative. If he is marking, you can walk away, then bring him back to the spot and reward him for not marking. A dog that is marking needs NILIF. If it continues, use a belly band. Rewarding a marker for going outside isn't going to change his behavior because it isn't a training issue.

A dog that is not housebroken needs to be crated and taken outside frequently, and always rewarded with praise and a treat when he goes outside. I've found that marking is much easier to fix than not being housebroken.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
My male dog is allowed to mark outdoors all he wants.
Indoors its a house training issue, and he understands that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts