Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Jack/Rat mix for almost 4 years, got him at 9 weeks old. He was a superstar for housetraining, never an accident, peed on command for a long time, and we stopped crating him at a year and a half. (Sorry this is so looooonnng.....)
Our older girl's health started to falter last summer, and we sadly lost her in early February. It seems the Jack began marking sometime around the time when she was sick. :(
I just "happened" to notice a large dark spot on the bedspread bottom one day in hubbies room. Turns out dog was marking the bottom of hubby's bed, bottom of my bed (hubby is an aggressive sleeper and snorer, we have a great marriage but for safety reasons, he's banished...lol) and the bottom of the throw where our girl camped out on the couch during the day. The jack sleeps in either bed with us at night, since we stopped crating. He's a spooner. It's endearing.
We also noticed, after losing our girl, that our basement seemed to have been hit, as well. We got a blacklight (mistake) to illuminate any stains. To be fair, we've had 3 other geriatric and health challenged dogs, as well as an 18 year old cat, that "convalesced," to a degree, in our basement, and many of the stains we found were most certainly from them. But, we had opened the basement up early spring for him (was closed off for older girl due to mobility issues) and there we clearly more spots, from him.
We rescued another girl weeks after our first girl left us (long story, we were approached to consider her, and despite initial serious health issues, she is an absolute love) and they get along very well, with a much different dynamic. This girl is much younger and rambunctious, and is not as "tolerant and patient" as the first girl. He has had some adjusting to do, having to heed to her exuberance in and out of doors and at playtime, but, the marking started before her, when the first girl's health began failing.
He is mine and my hubby's "love child" (a joke but somewhat true.) We adore him, having had him since he was a wee thing. He is smart, fun, well behaved, affectionate, hysterical, and a joy. He is also noisy, and adamant on "defending" his home vocally.
Dynamics in the house play a part. Hubby spoils him (well, all of them) and has a hard time disciplining anything (we have horses too, and young adults, and he's consistent in the non-discipline across the board). I DO discipline, make them obey, instill their manners, and they happily oblige. They adore me, ugh, I sound like a jerk, but, they truly do hang with me almost all the time ,and are lovely companions. I am home with them most days. When I am out or working, the new girl typically is in her crate (so she can have chews and bones without incident or the annoying guy stealing them) and he has been out of his crate for about 3 years, with chews and interactive toys to keep him busy, outside of manning the numerous windows.

So, the marking. UGH! The issues I feel are:
He feels dominant, and marks to be king.
He sees squirrels, chipmunks, birds outside, and when he can't "get at them" he marks. (we live on a farm on many acres in a rural area, he has a whole array of wildlife to watch daily)
I have NEVER caught him, and it happens primarily, if not exclusively, when he is home without a human
Hubby will never change, and the jack rules hubby's space

He was crated for over a year, successfully, and, I'd rather not go back to that, especially where he is such an animated, high spirited and active boy now at 3 3/4.

I walk them every day on long, long ropes, so they can get some running in. I always take time on our walks to call them back to me, have them walk on a short leash and "heel" for a small time, call to them to make sure they stop and look at me, etc. They are about 95% awesome, with the occasional having to reinforce and remind them. I/we also have play time with them where they get to run in a fenced in area most days for up to a half an hour. And while I get that training should be as close to 100%, I also know that is not going to happen. I used to walk him off leash with our other dog, but in summer with all the ticks, porcupines, chipmunks, I don't want him running off into the woods. And our new girls is far from that, so, long ropes it is for awhile.

Hubby, sadly, cannot be trained. He will always allow the dogs to stand on him, jump more than they should, make their minds up first vs him directing them. He doesn't do any reinforcing of obedience on walks, but does make them sit and give paw if he is treating.

My concerns/questions/hopes for productive input are:

Are there products that will deter them from marking? The area is in a slim area next to my bed, where there is also a chair, and where our new girl likes to sleep at night. So, I'd like to not deter her, but, will, if there is an effective way of detering him. I've tried the no marking sprays with no real luck.

I did buy a couple of the enzymatic, pet specific cleaners, and those are what I use exclusively when I need to clean his "accidents."

I did put one of his favorite toys and beds there for 2 weeks, and began treating him in the spot. After 2 weeks I took them away, and for 3 weeks, no marking. Thought we'd had it licked. However he started again just a few days ago. .grrrr....

A belly band will doubtfully work, as I can see him pulling at it and fighting with it until it disappears or is shredded.

I literally have never caught him, and he is just about always in the same room with me, follows me from room to room, etc. When he does "disappear" momentarily, I follow him. If I have to be somewhere without them, basement, etc, I either put them out in the fenced in area, or in their crates with something to chew on.

I get the 3 second rule, but I have sternly talked to him "about his problem" near the area, and he does turn and off. Sometimes I wonder if he "gets it".

He is a smart bugger. He differentiates between toys, colors, back and front door, he recognizes a high number of "words". We did puppy and obedience class with him the first year, and he was the stellar student.

Wondering what else I can do to discourage him from marking in the house, period. I hate to close rooms off, but I have been, again, and will do so, if need be. I just wish I "understood" better, and could discourage it permanently.

Any suggestions or experiences are greatly appreciated for sharing. Thanks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you've not caught him then it might not be him doing it. Mightve been the other dog & the new one, or can any other animals get inside through a catflap or window while your out? eg cat or wildlife. Just seems strange if he's always been good. I like your post by the way ???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It's definitely him. It was happening when the older dog was sick, when he was here alone, and also with the new dog.

I ended up taking a blanket that I would throw on my bed and he would snuggle into, and tucking into the base of the bed, into between the mattress and box spring, so it hung along the rail on the side of the bed he'd been marking. It's been there about 3 weeks, and so far so good. I think I'll keep it up for a couple/few months, and see what happens after I take it away then.

We also have been pulling gates into the bedrooms when we are out, so, it could be the combo. We shall see!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thats a good idea, glad it's stopped. My dogs a girl so she does'nt lift her leg on furniture like that. I guess he was making it clear that the beds his to the others. When my dog did a marking wee on my mat during toilet training, I cleaned it, then sprayed MY perfume on it, letting her know it's mine & she did'nt mark there again. So you could try that too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts