Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our male neutered dog loves his foxy and ewok toy. Lately he's been acting strange with his ewok. He loved to chase it and play. When we come in from a walk he will still go to his ewok and get excited, but then it's like he stops playing and just wants to walk around with his ewok. He's almost acting like his ewok is a bone.
He tries to go find the perfect spot to be with it. He tried to make a spot under the tree, then he tried to lay on a tower of boxes, then the chair, then finally the couch he kept getting up and down on. Eventually he just stayed on the couch with it, but then he started to try to tear it apart which he doesn't usually do. He will still chase it, but he doesn't really want to much now. He just wants to get it and run away with it now. He will lick it and hold it in his mouth and walk around.
Does he just think it's a bone? We had a female dog once that acted like her toy was a puppy, but I never heard of a male dog doing that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's a plaything, it's not weird at all. He's actually treating it more like a kill. I would let him get it out of his system so long as he doesn't destroy it to the point he could choke on something and isn't acting possessive.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The is what Trucker did with his Outward Hound Hedgehogz (I bought spares), It is a toy. He is being a dog and I agree that as long as he isn't being possessive then the behavior is fine. If it isn't have him trade you for a bone and only allow him to have the others when he is play what you deem is appropriately with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts