Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past few days, I have been searching pet stores for dog supplies. The problem is, why are dog toys so expensive? Here in Singapore they cost around 12-25 dollars. Is it just here or are they really that expensive? Then I decided to go looking on online stores. They have the same stuff for around 5 dollars but the shipping costs wayyy more than the product.

Because of this, I want to make my own dog toys. (If it's better to buy then I really don't mind, but I just don't want to spend 20 dollars on a dog toy when I can actually make one for 5 dollars)

Is this a good idea? If so, what are some easy toys to make? At the moment I have made a rope tug thing from old tshirts.

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
You absolutely don't need to buy dog toys! Sometimes even buying stuff for different purposes (meaning not specifically dog toys)

I made some rope tug toys with some 100% cotton rope I bought, I just the same rope and a pvc pipe to build a flirt pole.

If you want a ball, you don't necessarily have to go for the tog toy balls, you can also just buy some tennis balls, or, if you want something bigger, so it cannot be picked up with the mouth, buy a kids plastic soccer ball or something (if that is cheaper than the dog toys).

The only think I don't have an idea right now are squeaky toys. If you somehow can get the squeakers, you could just use baby toys, open them, put a squeaker in and sew them close again. Maybe you can even find the baby toys at a second hand store, which makes it even less expensive.

Puzzle toys: you can't leave the dog playing by him/herself, but using cups and hiding food underneath is a great way to engage with the pup.

I wish you all the best, be creative :)

Reactions: FluffyPuppy

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A lot of stores offer free shipping if you buy a certain dollar amount of stuff. You might not wan't to spend fifty bucks on toys, but if you are buying something else like dog food, then it might be a good deal.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I both buy and make my own toys. I buy ones that are made of really tough rubber (Kong etc.) and I make a lot of tug toys by braiding fleece.

Reactions: FluffyPuppy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts