Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a new puppy in a few weeks and the side yard where my new puppy will be spending most of his time is filled with small digestible gravel.

I need an inexpensive way to fix this problem, the area is 8 ft. x 25 ft. covered by 2 inches of gravel and under that is sandy soil.

I've called for estimates on synthetic grass but so far the cheapest estimate is $800.00 without installation. I like the look and cleanliness of the synthetic grass but would like to spend closer to $500.00 vs. $1,000.00. plus.

If I just take the gravel off the top layer the winter rain and mud and dirty paws would cause havoc around here. Sod doesn't live on this shady side of the house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Orange County, Southern California. I'll look into the St. Augustine, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome!!

I have no idea what St. Augustine is :p I'm assuming sturdy grass? ;)

Probably the cheapest thing you could do is remove the gravel and put down wood chips? Or some sort of grass though I don't know if you can lay sod down this time of year where you are ;)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
another suggestion i've had from landscapers is clover...clover is hardier than grass by far (again, according to landscapers, and the guys at my local nursery...) the only draw back is that the flowers on clover can draw honey bees...but apparently if you mow it, that is not a problem...anyway, you may also want to look into that...;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Crio-neat!! I wonder if that would grow here...gets really hot in the summers.
Clover is a weed here, but I'd love to grow that-the buns would go nuts!

You guys are making me plan next years gardening...and that's 6-7 months away for me!! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts