Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 years old poodle, got it from the street since she was like 1 month old.
I am really young(14 years old) and of course, when I got the dog(I was 7) I didn't know how to treat a dog, even my mum, she basically didn't even know that we had to teach her things like "sit" exc... the vet, when noticed had to explain this to my mum and so she called a trainer to teach her so.
Basically, I was a kid when I got her, I thought: "oh a dog, nice, now I will pet him the entire day!" and that was just the thing, I didn't know anything about dog, as my mum too.
But there is a problem, even if she is really lovely, there are times when she is basically a nazi.
So now we have a not trained and dominance dog because, after the first years, I stopped caring about him (and I hate my self for doing it, but, I was a kid! I didnt even know how to have a dog!).
So we have my mum that doesn't even know how to train a dog and a dog.
But a day, I don't know why, I started caring about him, and wanted to train him, now she knows most of the main commands but the bad thing is that she has serious resource guarding problems.
She basically growls(and bites) when she is in her bed or with a toy, or even with our socks and when she steals from the trashcan (sometimes we can stop her from stealing trash just by saying "no" and calling her but it doesn't always work) and when she is with paper.
But most of all, when she is sleeping/relaxing mode(particoulary when on my mum's bed) she basically doesn't want anyone moving her or she attacks, we have to call her or she won't move, even if we want to pet her.
And here we are, how can I fix this? I wanna call a dog trainer but my mum seems not caring due to some family problems so we don't have time to call a dog trainer and also, not so much money to pay him.
So, what can I do, she is learing commands really quickly but I want her to stop this resource guarding problem, what can I do? Please, I am frantic...
PS: she bites everyone when having this resource guarding problem, not just me

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Sounds like you have a dog that owns everything in the household, and has gotten away with it for most of it's life. This is typically lack of respect. Relax, it's fixable, but it's going to take consistancy and everyone in the household has to be on board. Everything in the condo is mine, the dog has earned the right to use it all. He's snoring under a blanket beside me.

Does the dog have a kennel? You don't need to lock the dog in, but it's her own personal space that she can go to and be left alone. If you go that route, it has to be set as a rule. Everything else in the household belongs to you and your mom from here on in. The dog needs to earn the use of it. Mainly, don't feel bad through the process. If the family isn't on board, you'll have a problem cause the dog will see you as the heavy so talk to your mom before hand.

If the bed is the issue, don't let her up on it. Make a bed on the floor, let her sleep there - until she earns a place on the bed.

Is food is an issue? The food is yours until she eats it. If food always available, take it away and set up a feeding schedule. If you feed twice a day, make her wait for it. When she's calm, feed her - but if she starts showing signs of resource guard when you move to put the food on the floor - put it on the counter and walk away. Try again a half hour later - but remain calm - and repeat until she learns calm. A confused dog is a thinking dog.

you can put a short leash on her and leave it on, will allow control without getting too close when she's truly defensive. Stay safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 7 years old poodle, got it from the street since she was like 1 month old.
I am really young(14 years old) and of course, when I got the dog(I was 7) I didn't know how to treat a dog, even my mum, she basically didn't even know that we had to teach her things like "sit" exc... the vet, when noticed had to explain this to my mum and so she called a trainer to teach her so.
Basically, I was a kid when I got her, I thought: "oh a dog, nice, now I will pet him the entire day!" and that was just the thing, I didn't know anything about dog, as my mum too.
But there is a problem, even if she is really lovely, there are times when she is basically a nazi.
So now we have a not trained and dominance dog because, after the first years, I stopped caring about him (and I hate my self for doing it, but, I was a kid! I didnt even know how to have a dog!).
So we have my mum that doesn't even know how to train a dog and a dog.
But a day, I don't know why, I started caring about him, and wanted to train him, now she knows most of the main commands but the bad thing is that she has serious resource guarding problems.
She basically growls(and bites) when she is in her bed or with a toy, or even with our socks and when she steals from the trashcan (sometimes we can stop her from stealing trash just by saying "no" and calling her but it doesn't always work) and when she is with paper.
But most of all, when she is sleeping/relaxing mode(particoulary when on my mum's bed) she basically doesn't want anyone moving her or she attacks, we have to call her or she won't move, even if we want to pet her.
And here we are, how can I fix this? I wanna call a dog trainer but my mum seems not caring due to some family problems so we don't have time to call a dog trainer and also, not so much money to pay him.
So, what can I do, she is learing commands really quickly but I want her to stop this resource guarding problem, what can I do? Please, I am frantic...
PS: she bites everyone when having this resource guarding problem, not just me
Sounds like you have a dog that owns everything in the household, and has gotten away with it for most of it's life. This is typically lack of respect. Relax, it's fixable, but it's going to take consistancy and everyone in the household has to be on board. Everything in the condo is mine, the dog has earned the right to use it all. He's snoring under a blanket beside me.

Does the dog have a kennel? You don't need to lock the dog in, but it's her own personal space that she can go to and be left alone. If you go that route, it has to be set as a rule. Everything else in the household belongs to you and your mom from here on in. The dog needs to earn the use of it. Mainly, don't feel bad through the process. If the family isn't on board, you'll have a problem cause the dog will see you as the heavy so talk to your mom before hand.

If the bed is the issue, don't let her up on it. Make a bed on the floor, let her sleep there - until she earns a place on the bed.

Is food is an issue? The food is yours until she eats it. If food always available, take it away and set up a feeding schedule. If you feed twice a day, make her wait for it. When she's calm, feed her - but if she starts showing signs of resource guard when you move to put the food on the floor - put it on the counter and walk away. Try again a half hour later - but remain calm - and repeat until she learns calm. A confused dog is a thinking dog.

you can put a short leash on her and leave it on, will allow control without getting too close when she's truly defensive. Stay safe.
No, she doesn't have a kennel but she has her own bed when no one bother her but, if we just get close to her while she has a toy with her just there, you are a dead man, she doesn't care, she starts growling and wants to bite you if you get close enough to just try to take her toy.
About the food she doesn't have that many problems, she growls but leaves me taking it but another main problem is the trashcan, how can I stop her by stealing from the trashcan? This is also one of the greatest problems :l

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
No, she doesn't have a kennel but she has her own bed when no one bother her but, if we just get close to her while she has a toy with her just there, you are a dead man, she doesn't care, she starts growling and wants to bite you if you get close enough to just try to take her toy.
About the food she doesn't have that many problems, she growls but leaves me taking it but another main problem is the trashcan, how can I stop her by stealing from the trashcan? This is also one of the greatest problems :l
Take her out for a walk or for a pee, while she's out, take all the toys away. She can have a toy on your terms.
Remove the trashcan, put it somewhere she can't access it. Anything that is an issue in the home at the moment, remove it.

Most importantly, what is the dogs exercise from day to day? Bored dogs can also exhibit bad behaviours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take her out for a walk or for a pee, while she's out, take all the toys away. She can have a toy on your terms.
Remove the trashcan, put it somewhere she can't access it. Anything that is an issue in the home at the moment, remove it.

Most importantly, what is the dogs exercise from day to day? Bored dogs can also exhibit bad behaviours.
She does kinda long walks, from 1 to even three walks per day(mostly two) all that are from 20-40 or, when I can, I take her for a 1 hour walk but that commonly only happens on weekends.
Oh and forgot to say that she is kinda "scaried" about other dogs, it is like, she wants to play, she gets close to them but then, when they want to play she goes away, tried this also at home but she seems not caring about other dogs, could this be a thing?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
She does kinda long walks, from 1 to even three walks per day(mostly two) all that are from 20-40 or, when I can, I take her for a 1 hour walk but that commonly only happens on weekends.
Oh and forgot to say that she is kinda "scaried" about other dogs, it is like, she wants to play, she gets close to them but then, when they want to play she goes away, tried this also at home but she seems not caring about other dogs, could this be a thing?
Sounds like she's used to doing things on her terms. That could be what you're seeing in trying to play with other dogs. I wouldn't concentrate too much on other dogs at the moment, work on the resource guarding first, she needs to learn respect from the ground up. When it comes to toys, try to use them for engagement rather than her playing with them on her own. If you have a thick rope, few feet long, that can work - and gives you distance for a pull session.

I like it when dogs are confused, confused is thinking trying to formulate plan B. I'm hungry, what do I need to do to get the food. or the toy. Once they figure that out, they can change pretty quick. They learn that growl doesn't get me fed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so for the toys I actually put them in the box and then when she "tells" me she wants to play, sometimes(not always) I let her play with her toys letting her bringing them back to me but it doesnt always go in this way because later, when she gets bored playing with me, she brings the toy on her bed and starts playing alone and, if just I try to get it, she growls.
Oh and there was a time when she was growling to protect a bag with in it her leash and if I am not wrong, also her toys but I don't still think she could have seen them because the bag was kinda big so, what that behaviour is? Do you thing she just recognize her toys or she just "wanted" to guard that bag

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Ok so for the toys I actually put them in the box and then when she "tells" me she wants to play, sometimes(not always) I let her play with her toys letting her bringing them back to me but it doesnt always go in this way because later, when she gets bored playing with me, she brings the toy on her bed and starts playing alone and, if just I try to get it, she growls.
Oh and there was a time when she was growling to protect a bag with in it her leash and if I am not wrong, also her toys but I don't still think she could have seen them because the bag was kinda big so, what that behaviour is? Do you thing she just recognize her toys or she just "wanted" to guard that bag
The one thing i've done in the past with toy aggressive dogs, is tie a long string to the toy. When they start guarding it, pull the string and put it away.

You know your dog better than anyone else, I don't want to recommend anything that could get you hurt. If toys are that much of a problem, don't give them to her - period. Take them away for a few days, and concentrate on getting her out and about for exercise and some socialization. Take her to a park, leave her on leash and sit on a bench and read a book. Ignore her, let her get used to relaxing.

Trainer would be a good thing to help you out - but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen. You should really talk to your mom, see if you can both be a team to give the dog some tough love in a safe fashion.

·
Super Moderator
10,741 Posts
If your mom will pay for it, there's a really good book out by a very good behaviorist that will help you understand your dog's resource guarding. It's titled "Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding" by Jean Donaldson https://www.amazon.com/Mine-Practical-Guide-Resource-Guarding/dp/0970562942/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487267006&sr=8-1&keywords=mine+jean+donaldson Going by your using Mum rather then Mom, I'm guessing you do not live in the U.S.A. so you'll have to look it up on a website for your country.

One thing that I can tell you is that if you simply take stuff from her, she'll view it as your stealing and will keep getting worse and worse. The best thing to do is to play trading games with her. You need to start with items she's not too keen on and then work your way up to stuff she is. Too play the games you'll let her take the item, make a big deal out of how awesome the item is, the when she has it trade her for a slightly better toy, or a nice high value treat, then give the original item back.

It'll also help to hand feed her her food. You can either hold the food and feed it to her kibble by kibble, or drop it bit by bit into her bowl. Add in some really good treats for added impact. You're teaching her that your hands give her good things, and that guarding things like her food bowl is not necessary. Here's this forum's guide on resource guarding, it has videos and links to things that will explain a bit more about what I'm describing http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/resource-guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your mom will pay for it, there's a really good book out by a very good behaviorist that will help you understand your dog's resource guarding. It's titled "Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding" by Jean Donaldson https://www.amazon.com/Mine-Practical-Guide-Resource-Guarding/dp/0970562942/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487267006&sr=8-1&keywords=mine+jean+donaldson Going by your using Mum rather then Mom, I'm guessing you do not live in the U.S.A. so you'll have to look it up on a website for your country.

One thing that I can tell you is that if you simply take stuff from her, she'll view it as your stealing and will keep getting worse and worse. The best thing to do is to play trading games with her. You need to start with items she's not too keen on and then work your way up to stuff she is. Too play the games you'll let her take the item, make a big deal out of how awesome the item is, the when she has it trade her for a slightly better toy, or a nice high value treat, then give the original item back.

It'll also help to hand feed her her food. You can either hold the food and feed it to her kibble by kibble, or drop it bit by bit into her bowl. Add in some really good treats for added impact. You're teaching her that your hands give her good things, and that guarding things like her food bowl is not necessary. Here's this forum's guide on resource guarding, it has videos and links to things that will explain a bit more about what I'm describing http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/resource-guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/
Thank you, will give it a try! :)
Think I will buy a ebook version of this since I live in Italy so, yep, will actually give it a shot and see how it works on my dog :)

·
Super Moderator
10,741 Posts

She probably smelled her toys in the bag.

How is she acting when she growls when she has a toy? Is it a serious growl or a play growl? My boy play growls, he sounds as if he's going to try and rip my arm off, but he's playing, I can tell because of his body language, he's not lifting his lips, raising the fur on his neck, and stiffening up. Also if I move my hand away from his toy he backs up and nudges my hand because he wants me to get the toy. Is your girl doing something like that, or is she baring her teeth, crouching over the toy hackles raised, etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She probably smelled her toys in the bag.

How is she acting when she growls when she has a toy? Is it a serious growl or a play growl? My boy play growls, he sounds as if he's going to try and rip my arm off, but he's playing, I can tell because of his body language, he's not lifting his lips, raising the fur on his neck, and stiffening up. Also if I move my hand away from his toy he backs up and nudges my hand because he wants me to get the toy. Is your girl doing something like that, or is she baring her teeth, crouching over the toy hackles raised, etc?
It is a serious one, I've found out how dog's body language works and it is actually a serious growl, and a serious bite, he doesn't want me to touch her toy, she crouch over the toy and bare her teeth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts