Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a dog diagnosed with Lymphoma? My big girl might have it, sending out the labs today and should get results in 2-3 days. She has multiple swollen lymph nodes and hasn’t been eating. She is otherwise been acting normal, drinking and normal energy, she a 100 pound St. Bernard/lab mix, 7 1/2 years old.

If she does have it I’ll have to decide between chemo or treating with steroids. I don’t know what to do. I’ll talk to my vet more in depth about it once we get the results back and if they are positive.

Just wondering what your experience with this was like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My sisters dog Maxie who is a 13 1/2 year old Shih Tzu was recently diagnosed with cutaneous lymphoma, its a type of skin cancer that affects the skin, does not go internally, he has it on his lip and also underneath his eyes, makes him very itchy..as far as treatment they told her radiation(16 days in a row) which we will not be doing for him, she will be getting him a steroid injection tomorrow hope at least it brings down the inflammation..he has it no where else on his body, took a few months to diagnose because the vet thought he was licking all the time due to behavioral issues, it was not in his head, he was licking because something was bothering him, the biopsy confirmed it..prayers sent for your sweet pup Im so sorry you have to go through this :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

As of now still waiting for the results of the cytology. She ate her food that I mixed with wet food from the vets on Sunday night after i brought her home from being hospitalized. I was happy and then it just went downhill from there and she isn’t eating again 😞

She’s on anti nausea med and antacids but they don’t help, even adding the wet food isn’t working anymore. Doesn’t make me feel hopeful about these test results, I’m so scared.

I wish she would eat, might have to take her back to the hospital for fluids today.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the results came in and while it shows signs that it is most likely lymphoma it’s not 100%, though the vet says she thinks it most likely is. She’s at the hospital again now and staying overnight. They are gonna do a biopsy and send out more samples to get better results. They are going to do another ultrasound as well, and start her on steroids which should make her feel better and hopefully make her want to eat. I should be able to pick her up today if she is eating. The biopsy results should come back in a day or two.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the update..there are many different forms of lymphoma, the one our maxie has is cutaneous lymphoma, it goes on the body but never internally, so he will always want to eat..the fact that your pup does not want to eat tells me her lymphoma is internal? Where is the biopsy being taken? on her back, etc? Prayers sent for your sweet pup. For our Maxie, they gave him a steroid injection and an enzyme shot two days ago, big difference, he doesnt scratch his face anymore(he gets very itchy from this kind of cancer) and he doesnt lick as much anymore(He also has it on his lip) we will not be doing chemo on him since that will just make him sick and not want to eat and thats basically Maxie's whole life, to eat..radiation, he might get one dose later on if necessary..really wish they would find a cure for this damn cancer its terrible :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hers is internal. She was hospitalized for three days while we waited on the biopsy results. I brought her home on Saturday and she ate but then stopped eating again. She starts chemo today, the vet said the chemo and the steroids they will he giving her today should make her feel better, I hope so. I’m so stressed, she is definitely loosing weight. Keeping my 🤞🏻crossed!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So she had her first chemo treatment a week ago and they put her on steroids. I have to say, she is doing well! Her energy levels are pretty normal and she is eating, infact she is now eager to eat! I’m hoping this continues. She gets her second round of chemo today.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sorry you have to go through this with her, but its great that she is responding so well to the treatment. Those steroids will trigger her appetite, and thirst, so she will drink a lot of water and pee a lot. We had ours on high dose steroids for months, because of an immune system disorder she has. I am, therefore very familiar with all the steroid side effects. We now have her on a very low dose every other day for maintenance, her immune system disorder has been declared, by her neurologist, in remission, which is where we want it to stay,

·
Registered
83 Posts
So she had her first chemo treatment a week ago and they put her on steroids. I have to say, she is doing well! Her energy levels are pretty normal and she is eating, infact she is now eager to eat! I’m hoping this continues. She gets her second round of chemo today.

Great news thank God!!! Did they diagnose exactly what kind of lymphoma she has and where the lymphoma is located..prayers for your sweet pup..just know with chemo treatment, if she does pee in the house(Have accidents) you have to wear a few gloves in order to clean it up since the chemo comes out in the urine and stool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts