Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi; we currently don't have any dogs, but are considering getting two lurchers from the local rescue centre (two specific ones, as they are friends and we didn't want to split them up).

We where originally going to see if we could find any Greyhounds but these two lurchers nabbed us. Anyway, I've read that the Lurchers require one long walk a day - I was wondering if that could be replaced by 3 short walks a day? One in the morning, one early afternoon, and one in the evening.

Also, how far (roughly, of course) is a 'long walk' considered to be for lurchers?

Finally, is there anything we should be aware of with regards to the lurcher? I'm given to understand their similar to Greyhounds with regards to being pretty low maintenance?

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi; we currently don't have any dogs, but are considering getting two lurchers from the local rescue centre (two specific ones, as they are friends and we didn't want to split them up).

We where originally going to see if we could find any Greyhounds but these two lurchers nabbed us. Anyway, I've read that the Lurchers require one long walk a day - I was wondering if that could be replaced by 3 short walks a day? One in the morning, one early afternoon, and one in the evening.

Also, how far (roughly, of course) is a 'long walk' considered to be for lurchers?

Finally, is there anything we should be aware of with regards to the lurcher? I'm given to understand their similar to Greyhounds with regards to being pretty low maintenance?

Cheers in advance.
These type of dogs need plenty of exercise if you are just going to walk them on leads to keep them in good condition.Seeing you are looking at getting two dogs free running them together would be ideal .As for them being low maintenance it depends on the mix of blood more greyhound more laid back.
these type of dogs have a high pray drive and will chase and possibly kill other small animals such as cats rabbits.I would say a they would need a hour walk in the morning and a couple of hours with free running in the evening would keep them happy.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Do you know what breed they're mixed with? How old are they?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Much depends on the breeds in the make up as to what stamina & exercise they'll need, but generally lurcher's are more active than greyhounds. If you have photo's or know what type they are then then the experienced folk on Lurcher Link may be able to advise what there needs are likely to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.