Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year old BC Gypsy has developed a lump on top of her muzzle , just above and to the left of her nose
Its pea sized and doesnt seem to bother her or hurt her
Ive booked her into the vets tomorrow morning (earliest I could get) but im worried
any ideas what it could be ?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Glad you're taking her to the vet to find out for sure.

Years ago, I had a poodle that got pimples just like teenage kids! Didn't bother him and after a few months they went away. They were on his muzzle too.

Hope its something simple and easy!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eek , around tea-time she got two more small lumps , one to the left of the original lump , the other above the original lump

Now her whole topside of her muzzle has swollen & she keeps pawing at it

Im sooo glad I made that appointment for tomorrow morning
My poor baby :(

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
she might have gotten bitten by a bug, your dr. might prescribe you a steroid or benedryl to help with inflammation and itchiness. I bet it is uncomfortable! Try not to let her itch at it, it might make it worse. I know that sounds hard to do though lol since we can't MAKE them do nething.

~MSE

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If they are appearing that quickly and swelling I would give her benedryl for the night Just in case. Sounds like a bug bite or reaction of some sort.

Have you checked under her coat to see if there is anything crawling around her face? Or could she be sticking her head into an ant hill in the yard?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I ditto you can certainly give benedryl now.

Here's some dosing help for you.

WikiAnswers - How much Benadryl can you give a dog

1. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) – Dogs and cats can be given 1-2 mg/lb every eight hours. This can be used to treat allergic reactions, and it also has some anti-anxiety and anti-vertigo effects. As a general rule, it is pretty safe stuff. The primary side effect is drowsiness, so please do not allow your pet to drink alcohol or operate heavy machinery while taking it. Vet Pets - Animal Hospital and Pet Store - Memphis TN
I always dose on the low side if possible just in case (unless it's vet prescribed dosage) ;) Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woke up this morning and the swelling had completely gone ... typical

We still kept the vets appointment though ... he gave her the once over , felt all over for any lumps (there wasnt any) and said his best guess was she had a mild allergic reaction to something , possibly nettles as he reckoned it was something she stuck her nose in ... he said it may happen again , just to keep an eye on her and if it does dont worry unless the lumps start spreading all over her body , then bring her in for a steroid shot as in that scenario she would be itching and uncomfortable

He didnt charge us anything for seeing her either :) ... I know he didnt actually do anything but some vets would have charged something just for letting us see him

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
How nice!!! Yes-most vets charge any time you walk in :)

That's totally typical in my house too-freak out, make vet appointment. Nothing is wrong... :p Glad she's doing well though-allergic reactions are a bit scary!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Woke up this morning and the swelling had completely gone ... typical

We still kept the vets appointment though ... he gave her the once over , felt all over for any lumps (there wasnt any) and said his best guess was she had a mild allergic reaction to something , possibly nettles as he reckoned it was something she stuck her nose in ... he said it may happen again , just to keep an eye on her and if it does dont worry unless the lumps start spreading all over her body , then bring her in for a steroid shot as in that scenario she would be itching and uncomfortable

He didnt charge us anything for seeing her either :) ... I know he didnt actually do anything but some vets would have charged something just for letting us see him
where is your vet again? i may head your way next time i need my dog or cat to be seen:D
glad to hear it wasn't anything serious....:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts