Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have an 8 year old neutured male. German shepherd and Lab mix... Monday night I noticed a large lump by his groin. It appeared suddenly and it was a very bright red/purple and the skin looked very scaly and irritated.

This worried me but I took a wait and see approach for Tuesday. There was no improvement so on Wednesday I took him in.. The vet said there was no mass which relieved me. He did say the inflammation was coming from the skin and it looked like contact dermatitis.

They gave him an injection for the swelling and prescribed him antibiotics for 7 days as well as a special shampoo that I was told to apply on the area 5 times a week.

I went home and started treatment but on Thursday afternoon noticed a very small super squishy bubble appearing where his skin irritation was. I paid no mind to it but earlier today it popped. A mixture of watery blood/yellow gooey liquid came out.

I cleaned the area with warm water and applied the special shampoo I was given by the vet. It seems like the bubble has drained completely because I see no more of the liquid coming out.

Should I be worried again?? Or is this just part of the healing process?? I still have 5 days left of antibiotics to give him. I was so relieved the vet said there was no mass as I was fearing a cancerous lump. Also, money is tight right now so I would rather not to take him again to the vet unless it's very necessary.

I guess it's worth pointing out that throughout this entire process he's shown NO signs of discomfort in anyway. He's been acting 100% normal this entire week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, the original "lump" he had is much smaller and softer now. The skin isn't red or purple anymore. It's beginning to heal. What worries me is the bubble that appeared and popped.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Call the vet! That new info is very important, it reinforces a diagnosis and may slightly change the length of treatment or need for tests.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts